Will too cool hurt fermentation or just slow the process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigH78

Reaction score
I've got a batch fermenting and getting a LOT of krausen, it has me a little nervous of a mess. It was a steady bubble earlier today and now tonight is pausing for quite awhile and then belches out a rush of bubbles. There is a some krausen going through the tube but doesn't look like enough to cause any blockage, just some minor foam. That said, I'd like to move it outside just for piece of mind, trouble is here in PA its supposed to be 38 tonight and low 60s tomorrow.. Will that hurt or just slow the yeast?

It will definately slow the fermentation, and it is usually not a good idea to ferment through wild temperature swings as it can create some off flavors by stressing the yeast. IMO, you would be better off putting it somewhere you can feel comfortable that any mess will be easy to clean up (i.e. bathtub). You are probably fine if you have a blowoff rigged up properly, and the fermentation should slow significantly within a day or so.

Ok.. I'm using the tube for syphoning in the airlock hole.. Its a nice snug fit and hopefully a large enough ID to not clog.

There isn't an airlock in it.. Just the 5/16 tubing in the hole. It is starting to get some residue under the lip of the lid, hopefully I don't have a mess in the morning! And is only been 24hrs!

What temp is it at, also what yeast? Another thing moving the bucket around or just bumping it when it is in its prime time really ticks it off.

I was worried about my ferments getting too cool and expressed this concern to a local craft brewer. They told me that they run no heat on their fermenters, just cooling. We're in a warm area, but it can get down into the 30s in the winter. They told me that they'll get slow ferments sometimes but otherwise no issues.

So I haven't worried about it since. But we'll see if I'm so confident once I get further into winter.

Back