Will this work for an all grain batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff62217

Reaction score
Just bought a kettle tube style mesh filter today, and noticed it advertises being able to turn your kettle into a mash tun.

My English barleywine fermenting right now was my first partial mash, but the thermometer in the kettle ended up puncturing my bag and I had some issues with sparging/draining.

I was thinking I could mash in the kettle, drain/sparge to a bottling bucket, then transfer back to the kettle once spent grain has been cleaned out, and proceed to boil from there.

Is anybody else doing something similar and if so what kind of issues have you run into?

Personally I don't do it that way, but on a budget it certainly can be done. Eventually you'll get tired of lifting and pouring.

acidrain said:
Personally I don't do it that way, but on a budget it certainly can be done. Eventually you'll get tired of lifting and pouring.

Agreed on all points.

Thanks for the responses.. after reading up some, I've figured I'll get a coleman xtreme cooler and make a mash tun.. and keep my kettle for liquor heater and wort boiler. :)

I've never done it that way, but when a buddy of my was making the transition to AG, he used a similar method. It is a bit of a pain in the neck, but it definitely works if you're on an equipment budget (as we all have been =] )

Back