Will this make a decent IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberg1

Reaction score
I'm brewing today I'm starting to second guess my recipe. Does this look decent or is it way off?

4lb maris otter
3lb 2 row
2lb Munich 10L
1lb crystal 60L

FYW 5.5 AAU cascade
30 min 6 AAU chinook
15 min 4 AAU amarillo
3 min 7 AAU cascade
Flame out 5.5 AAU cascade and 6 AAU Amarillo

WhiteLabs P001

Mash @ 150
1.4qt/lb
60 min

Not sure if you left it out, but I'd also add an ounce or two of dry hops to your recipe. It's hard for me to read AAs compare to ounces but it looks good from what I gather.

+1 to dry hopping. I plugged your recipe into BeerSmith and here is what it gave me:

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.56 %
Bitterness: 72.0 IBU
Calories: 244 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.7 SRM

The only criticism I have is that the grain bill might be a little overly complicated. Not that there is anything wrong with what you have, but you could go with 9lbs of 2 row and 1lb of Crystal 80L and end up with almost the exact same numbers. Also, how much hops are you adding at a time? You didn't list it. When I inputted the numbers, I just assumed all additions were 1oz.

You may want to use the Chinook as your bittering hop since it probably has the highest AA and you'll get the most bang for your buck. Amarillo and Cascade will be a nice blend. I would nail down the majority of the IBUs with the FWH/60min, then I would move the 30 minute to 20 or less. 30 minute additions aren't very efficient for bittering or flavor.

And I'll second the dryhop suggestion. 1-2 ounces for 5-7 days.

Edit: And based on the numbers above, I would try to increase the OG to get a BU:GU of 1 (in other words a gravity of 1.070 with 70IBU). 1 seems to be the standard suggestion for IPAs.

Wow so many good suggestions.

Sorry I forgot the weight of the hops.

I changed the hop schedule up a bit

FWH .25oz cascade .25 oz chinook
60min .5oz chinook
15min .5 Amarillo
3min 1oz cascade
FO .75 cascade .75 Amarillo

Dry hop 1oz cascade 1 oz Amarillo

I'm trying to keep it around 55 IBUs and 5.5 ABV

That hop schedule is showing 46.2 IBU. If you move the 15 minute additon to 30 minutes it shows about 50 IBU, and if you up the quantity to .75oz for 30 minutes it says 55.2.

.5oz of Amarillo at 30 and .5 at 10 would give you 54.9 IBU and be a little more aeromatic.

Looking at your origional amounts, you wouldn't need to buy any additional hops either, assuming you buy by the oz.

Hope that helps you out.

I've not done the calculation, but the IBUs look low. Bittering from FWH is somewhat subdued, so you might want to push it higher. If it were me I'd double the 60 minute addition and leave everything else as it is.

An alternative would be to move the 15 minute addition to FWH, which will add IBUs and retain some of the flavor. Moving it to 30 minutes loses the flavor from it.

An IPA can be had with your ingredients with no problem.

My calcs are based on 75% efficiency and being able to boil the full 6 gallons down to 5.

The Munich may add a bit of competing flavor. I will probably catch some grief for this but I try to associate Munich Malt flavors with German Oktoberfest beers. The overload of hops will probably cover it up but it may come through as a nutty/malty finish. This may compete or get stronger with the crystal as that is a caramel flavor. If it was me, I would drop the Munich for more base malt and 1/2 the crystal. I would also try to mash this in the 150F range.

The hops, I would split the cascade and amarillo so you get the best of both of them for flavor and aroma.

The other thing I did was try to get the most variants from the hops you have and still try to maintain that 1:1 ratio of OG/IBU. This is what I came up with:

3/4 oz chinook @ 90
1/4 oz chinook @ 30
1/4 oz amarillo @ 15
1/4 oz amarillo @ 3
1/4 oz cascade @ 15
1/4 oz cascade @ 3

for 55.8 IBU

and that should leave a 1/2 oz of cascade and amarillo to dry hop with. I would not use the chinook to dry hop with as the other hops are citrisy and the chinook is piny.

Back