Will this hurt my pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modernlifeisANDY

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have a new March 815-PL pump. I understand that it is not self-priming and needs liquid in the pump head to work. Today I was running some experiments, figuring out how to use the pump in my process. I haven't mounted it yet, and just had it sitting on the deck, inlet on the right and the outlet on the left. I had my MT hooked up to the inlet, but I did NOT have the MT lifted up on anything - it was on the deck, same as the pump. I opened the valve on my MT, opened the valve on my pump, and the water from the MT got most of the way through the silicone tubing and toward the pump head. Then, I turned the pump on and it pulled the liquid the rest of the way in and seemed to be working perfectly fine.

Are there problems with this method? Can/will I burn out my pump this way?

You said you have a valve on the pump. Which side is it mounted on - Inlet? or Outlet?
It should be on the outlet side.
As long as you don't hear the pump squeal you're good.

Yeah it's on the outlet side as it should be. Pump seems to be running super smooth - so there's no real consequence as long as it sounds fine?

Back