Will this heatsink work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayakr1988

Reaction score
I have an old processor heatsink/fan that would fit perfect into my build and i was wondering if anyone has tried this out.

I would swap the fan out with an AC fan because it is a DC right now. I would be cooling a auberin 40 amp ssr.

thanks,

Andy

heatsink.jpg

heatsink2.jpg

I haven't tried it, but I see no reason it wouldn't work. Make sure you use thermal paste where the heat sink and ssr meet.

Ok ordered everything and started putting it together.

The fan + heat sink + ssr are able to fit under the panel cover but the ssr will either rest on the bottom of the container or it will barely be off the bottom.

Do you think this will work or should I mount the fan on top of the board?

image-1787981954.jpg

image-2130863159.jpg

Just to show you my layout here it is. I am leaving room for 2 more pids in the future and maybe a volt or amp display in the top center.

The fan cools the ssr and the heat will come out a vent on the right side where the slits are.

image-2423079552.jpg

I love the case but it looks a tiny bit cramped with the fan on top of the heatsink. It will be hard to access the SSR like that. The placement of the fan is probably not critical. I would make it easy on yourself and space things out a bit. You can always rearrange if you upgrade with further components.

Alien

How often will i need to access my SSR after i have everything together and working properly?

I can defiantly move the fan setup elsewhere im just wondering if the ssr would malfunction with that little room beneath it.

You should be fine, that heat sink will work well. I'm using one just like it for my ssr.

Latest posts

Back