will the height of a 5 galon keg fit in a 7.2 cu ft keezer HELP!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewskiman

Reaction score
i have a 7.2 cu ft frigidaire chest freezer that i purchased from best buy. the first two kegs i am going to buy are two 5 gallon kegs. the first one is allagash triple ale and the second is going to be bear republic racer 5 ipa bombbbb beers haha. the inside of the freezer height is about 28 and a half inches will i need a low profile coupler or to buy a elbow. i don't want to put a collar and i bought a tower conversion kit. or will it fit with the regular coupler that comes from beverage factory with the tower kegerator conversion kit???

edit . . . never mind.

When I saw 5 gallon, I thought of cornies, not the sixth barrel Sankey.

Is this better? The kegs are 23 3/8" tall.

keg.jpg

I'm not sure you even need the "low profile" sankey coupler....Oh hell I just went and measured for ya... the 1/6 sanke w/ standard coupler and beer out line is 28" tall. I have tapped 1/6 and tall 1/4 kegs in a chest freezer w/o a collar using standard sanke couplers. The inner liner on the top of the freezer might also be "dished", plus the height of the lid gasket to give you an extra inch plus minus. I think it will fit, but just barely, worst case you might need an elbow connection for the beer out line off the coupler.

Hi

The standard text book recomendation is that you have 30" of height for a normal commercial keg and conventional coupler. You can certainly get away with less. The gotcha is kinking the beer line as you close the top. It won't stop things working, but it may result in a bit more foam.

Adding a right angle adapter to a conventional coupler will solve any isssues that turn up. It's cheaper than a low profile coupler and you can add it later if you need it.

Bob

thanks for the help you guys. do you think i should buy the elbow adapter to be on the safe side or no. because i surely don't want to purchase my kegs and then they don't fit with the standard coupler. then can't drink until i buy the elbow attachment and plus shipping time haha that would suck because a cold allagash triple and a bear republic ipa just sitting there. that would suck big time. i don't have the sankey kegs, i am just going to buy two 5 gallons from bev mo. are they the same thing?

My guess is it will fit...the elbows are like 17 bucks each OMG...do you measure 28" at the side of the freezer, the gasket will give you a little extra as well...the 28" figure I gave you was conservitive, you could reduce that a little without kinking the beer out line as well??? good luck. If for some unanticipated reason they dont fit...cover them with a few blankets or a sleeping bag and turn the keezer on to keep the beer cold and have a few pints while coming up w/ a fix??

yeah i measured it on the side and it was 28 and half inches. hope it fits with no elbow

I also got a 7.2 cf magic chef I just started converting last night. My plan is to fit 3 1/6 barrel sankeys inside since I don't yet home brew. Should I purchase low profile taps for the kegs?

Yes, Anoldur's post above confirms the needed 28 3/8" height roughly needed to tap a sanke w/ a standard tap...You can reduce that by an inch or so w/ a sharper bend in the beer tubing IME.

I wanna say I only got about 26"- 27" in there for height. Might want to go with the low profile taps just to be sure. I got pics of the build I just started last night on my profile if you want to take a look. Thanks a bunch for the input guys.

27 1/4" is all I feel like I can go. How about those 90' couplers on the tap? Where could I get those? Are they easy to attach? Sorry for the dumb question, just don't have much experience with kegs... yet.

Back