Will Nottingham work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you have a typo. An OG of 1.000 is pure water, which will result in 0% ABV once the yeasts are done. :D

Notty yeasts are good to about 10 or 12% ABV depending on the conditions.

Craig

you said 1.100 cbbaron can't read
If you look at the time-line, you'll notice that Poobah58 posted the topic at 4:35 PM (with the typo). Later, CBBaron wrote about the typo at 7:33 PM, Poobah58 posted his acknowledgment of the error (and edited the original post) to make the correction to the SG at 8:12 PM.

Craig's attention to detail is just fine... ;)

If you're planning in using champagne yeast anyway, why not use it from the beginning? I don't quite understand your plan.

Nottingham should poop out at around 75% attenuation, more or less.

My plan was to use a yeast that will leave it a little sweet so I don't have to backsweeten. On the other hand, I don't want it tooooo sweet.

You're not planning on bottle conditioning, right? Either kegging it, or having it still?

Champagne yeast will take it dry, so if you want some residual sweetness, you could try an ale yeast. That's a good idea.

Nottingham will probably do what you are shooting for, as it tends to slow down around 11-12%. That would leave a moderate amount of sweetness. Champagne yeast, on the other hand, would ferment a 1.100 mead out completely, so I wouldn't recommend it for bottling.

It sounds like you have a relatively narrow range of sweetness you are shooting for and the best way to hit that will be back-sweetening with lactose or another non-fermentable sugar.

Back