Will my hops climb this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikeAndBrew

Reaction score
So my crowns have produced bines that are now about a foot long each, so I figure it's time to string them up somehow. I am planning on running them up a line to the top of a pergola and then up along the house from there.

I have a ton of this stuff laying around the house:

f700bb3d-fa39-40d8-b2df-f467ca65d04d_400.jpg

It's the chain you use like to tie up a dog or hang baskets from. I am just thinking of using it because I've already got a ton of it laying around, it's plenty strong enough, and won't stretch like rope can. My only concern is whether the bines will grab on and wrap around it. What do you guys think?

I know they will climb chain link fence, so I assume they will also climb chain - mine climb up 3' of bamboo pole before they get to the balers twine, and that stuff is smooth.

The only issue I foresee is getting the bines off the chain at the end of the year (I compost my twine).

That stated, I've not tried chain before so I'm just giving you my best guess.

FYI: balers twine is like $20-$25 for 1000ft at Lowes/HD/Walmart so it's not an expensive investment for a roll that will last you a very long time.

I know they will climb chain link fence, so I assume they will also climb chain - mine climb up 3' of bamboo pole before they get to the balers twine, and that stuff is smooth.

The only issue I foresee is getting the bines off the chain at the end of the year (I compost my twine).

That stated, I've not tried chain before so I'm just giving you my best guess.

FYI: balers twine is like $20-$25 for 1000ft at Lowes/HD/Walmart so it's not an expensive investment for a roll that will last you a very long time.

Can you give me the brand name of the balers twine you use. All balers twine I have seen is nylon for strength and so it does not rot off as the bail sits on the ground. Thus it does not compost. I would love to find balers twine I could compost.

Does the bailing twine you use shrink up when wet? That's one of the reasons I'm thinking the chain would be better. I worry that sisal or twine will shrink up a bunch (like most natural material ropes do) the first time it gets wet which would cause problems for the way my setup is.

apparently everbilt is the brand, "sisal natural twine" is what I'm using; it definitely composts this link is at HD:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-42-x-2250-ft-Natural-Sisal-Twine-18000/202048181

If you go to the store they have different strengths/gauges at different prices. I don't recall if it shrinks when wet, but I assume it will shrink/stretch with water and temperature as it's a natural product.
The way I use it is doubled up looped over an I-hook I have screwed into the side of my deck then I tie it to my bamboo poles that are in the ground near the hop plants. It does stretch no matter how tight I tie it due to the weight of the bines, but it hasn't been an issue yet.

at the end of the year a tiger torch would clean up that chain nicely. Only problem is it would/might remove the galvanized coating so it might rust in the future. I'd do it when wet or snow on the ground.

Metal chain also retains heat. You might run the risk of overheating the plant, a problem I had a few summers ago when I trained my bines to grow up around a 5' metal lattice structure before attaching to sisal near the top.

Back