Will my bottles explode?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed a blgian Dubbel for the first time. After 10 days noticed airlock had stopped bubbling. Never took a hrydrometer reading. Bottled the beer. After about 3 days decided to open a bottle to check on carbonation. Beer gushed out of bottle (22oz) almost all the beer gushed out. Placed bottles in double garbage bags in event of exploding bottles. Any advice?

First a question, why didn't you take a hydrometer reading? Second, how much and kind of priming sugar did you use? 5 gallon batch? Protecting them from exploding everywhere is probably your best bet for now. Putting them in a cooler environment may help as well.

10 days is a little quick for Belgian yeasts...they start fast, but tend to finish slow.

Cover with plastic in the event of explosion, give them a few weeks to fully carb up and finish and see what happens. Gushing at room temp is normal for the style... refrigeration helps.

Oh, and safety glasses wouldn't hurt ;)

TT is right. Belgian yeasts start off fast but often take a long time fully finish. There is a very good chance you are at risk for bottle bombs. Enclose then in a a container or even a couple of thick garbage bags. Put them in the fridge for a few days and try one to see what happens. Definitely be careful with them.

I had this happen to me with my holiday brew. I racked to secondary and had the fermentation take off again. Not fully understanding how to use the hydrometer i thought it was done and bottled it. After 5 days i had bottles that would do the same as yours. Get them in the fridge quick. mine never exploded but i probably let mine sit longer that yours. the coolness of the fridge will help lower the pressure of the bottles.

The #1 thing to remember here is this; The beer isn't done fermenting just because the airlock stops bubbling!!! That just shows that initial,vigorous fermentation is likely done. But it will still slowly,uneventfully ferment down to a stable FG. So always use your hydrometer & trust the readings,not the airlock. your beer wasn't done fermenting yet. That's why you have high bottle pressure & foaming. The priming sugar just multiplies the effect.

Back