Will kveik continue to evolve outside of Norway?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
Was wondering if you think that kveik will continue to evolve outside of Norway? Seems that the homebrew community around the world and some yeast labs have taken a serious liking to kveik.

From what I read in Lars’ book, the reason kveik evolved so well over the years was it was hand selected for traits batch to batch. A sour batch and the yeast got tossed and you got a new pitch from a neighbor. That happened over generations (of brewers) and helped its success.

Breweries, homebrewers and yeast labs these days are fairly stable and sterile environments. I know some labs have been pulling strains out and isolating.

Will these kveiks continue to evolve naturally? I wonder also if anyone has been going 20-30-40 batches on a single kveik and seen changes?

The answer is, yes, of course it will evolve. Unless the yeast is banked/frozen in large qtys and every new batch is propagated directly from that bank, there's going to be genetic drift. It's the reason we have about 5 or 6 (maybe more...I've lost track) unique "Chico" strains these days.

Back