Will gravity drop a few points?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Brewed up AIH's 2-Hearted Clone a week ago now. Yesterday (6 days after brewing) I took a reading and saw 1.016 or 1.015. Was hoping for about 1.012 or 1.013. Should I expect gravity to drop to that desired range with another week in primary? I used Safale 05 slurry and fermented in the mid 60's. It's now about 70 with the real active fermentation long gone and the krausen pretty much dropped out. I mashed around 153 with my grains double crushed.

yes...I usually wait 3 weeks, then dry hop a week before kegging, or bottling. I know everyone hurries these days but I just brew more so I can let it age some... :) The last several batches of mine ended up 1.008-1.010 depending on my mash temps. I mash at 150-152, so I would think you could expect it to finish 1.010-1.012.
It's one of my favorite beers... :)

I'd definitely give it another week at around 75F, then take another reading. It should drop a few points. Make sure to purge the headspace with CO2 after reclosing the fermentor to prevent oxidation. You could dry hop (first round) during this time if you're in a hurry, then do a 2nd round a week before bottling or while in the keg. But it would be better to wait with dry hopping until the beer has cleared more.

I've noticed that yeast slurries take longer to clear the more they've been used. But they also attenuate better at the same time.

I don't have a CO2 tank, but that's never really been a problem for me, at least in my experience. Hopefully next week when I dry hop it's down to 1.013 or so. Not a huge deal, but a few more points never hurt anyone...thanks for the responses. Doing NB's Smashing Pumpkin kit now with the additional 6-row and canned pumpkin. I've done it before and it's always turned out really good.

Down to about 1.014 or 1.015 today - sure it's done. Tastes and smells good. I'll dry hop it here in a few more days. I will be dry hopping in secondary (refrain from your 'you should not / don't need to' comments please). My question is this - is there really an advantage to letting it sit in secondary for a week or two BEFORE adding the dry hops? I would think not.

No advantage. If you must secondary (you shouldn't/don't need to ;), just more oxygen pickup which is not good in an ipa) rack on the hops and 5- 7 days is perfect. My ipa's have improved big time since avoiding oxygen as much as possible

Back