Will extended lagering help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

Reaction score
I made an attempt at a Samuel Adams Boston Lager clone from page 156 of Clone Brews.
After 3 weeks in the primary my S.G. readings were stabilized and it clarified nicely. I sampled it and found that it was pretty close to the beer that I was attempting to clone. I transfered it to the secondary for dry hopping and this is were I made 2 noob mistakes. First mistake: I did not weigh the hops (I just divided the pack into what looked to be equal parts) prior to adding to carbouy. Second mistake: I added the hop pellets directly to the carbouy without any type of bag/strainer.
10 days later I bottled it, being careful not to siphon alot of sediment into the bottling bucket. It was fairly cloudy at that point. It has been in the refrigerator @ 35*F for 10 weeks now. Any of the bottles that I have tried have a very hoppy taste. Will it help to wait or should I just drink it & try again without making the mistakes?

I would think the hop flavor would reduce some, and it should clear up quite a bit, but maybe it isn't likely to be exactly the beer you wanted this time around. I would stick it in a back corner somewhere, and get crackin on the next batch. Who knows it might be wonderful in a couple months.

I would think the hop flavor would reduce some, and it should clear up quite a bit, but maybe it isn't likely to be exactly the beer you wanted this time around. I would stick it in a back corner somewhere, and get crackin on the next batch. Who knows it might be wonderful in a couple months.

Would you keep it @ low temps( ~35*F) or would you put it on a shelf @ higher temps( ~65*F) ?
I do have a freezer w/ a temperature controller, so either option is feasable.

I'm not an expert on lagering, but I would guess it would be better to go with the lower lagering temps rather than leaving it at fermentation temperatures. Maybe someone with more experience will weigh in. That's just my opinion.

Back