Will Duvel clone ferment properly without the lagering step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velorider11

Reaction score
Hi all, I'd like to brew an extract clone of Duvel or Delirium Tremens and I know they lager the beer for a few weeks after the primary fermentation. I have no way of getting and keeping the beer at that temperature so my question is, Can I still brew the clone and just ferment like I normally would a Belgain style without the lagering phase and still have it be reasonable close? What would be the downside of say, just doing a 6 week primary at about 70 degrees? Has anyone made a clone of one of these brews this way? Thanks

That will ferment just fine. The lagering step is actually a conditioning step, there should be no fermentation going on. Chilling it for that long helps drop out particulates and such.

I actually have a Westmalle Tripel conditioning right now. Time will tell how close I came.

I had planned to lager my saison, but then dropped the idea. In any case though it is on ice while it carbonates in the keg so it is conditioning that way. It has turned out to be one of my best beers to date and I have to resist drinking it before it is fully done, say in another week or so.

What would be the downside of say, just doing a 6 week primary at about 70 degrees? Has anyone made a clone of one of these brews this way?

I think keeping the temperature at 70 F would have more affect on the outcome than missing the cold conditioning stage.

I believe Duvel starts in the 60s and ramps the temperature up to the low 80s, as the fermentation proceeds. The higher temperatures will bring flavors out of the yeast that are needed to do a decent Duvel clone.

That will ferment just fine. The lagering step is actually a conditioning step, there should be no fermentation going on. Chilling it for that long helps drop out particulates and such.

I actually have a Westmalle Tripel conditioning right now. Time will tell how close I came.

How long are you conditioning it for? Bulk or bottle?

Back