Will changing water chemistry boost O.G.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I just brewed my first beer using salts. I used chalk, calcium chloride and epsom salts. I brewed a AHS California Common, it's a session beer at 1.041. I adjusted batch size as I always do with their kits (80%+ eff), to 6 gallons.

This usually nails my numbers. Well I boiled down from 8.13 gallons to 6 and my O.G. was 1.049! Holy crap, that's never happened in my previous 30+ batches.

I had to boil up a gallon of water and ended up with a 7 gallon batch, it ended up being 1.042. Could the salts possibly cause this? It's the only thing I did different.

Here's what I used.

Capture3.jpg

Well they could cause the pH to be in the enzymes ideal range, which could cause an increase in efficiency.

Well they could cause the pH to be in the enzymes ideal range, which could cause an increase in efficiency.

This is also the first batch i used ph strips to check the mash. As near as I could tell it was between 4.6 and 5.0, probably a tad low.

This is also the first batch i used ph strips to check the mash. As near as I could tell it was between 4.6 and 5.0, probably a tad low.

pH strips suck. It's not likely that your pH was that low especially considering your water profile and the beer you were brewing.

Also, the pH will be slightly off if you checked it at mash temps. Something like .2-.3 too low.

Back