Will Carbonation Level Drop if left at Serving Pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sippin37

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I normally carb my beers up at 11-13 PSI in my kegerator. Then I turn my serving pressure down to 6-7 PSI when serving to reduce the amount of foam (only really do this when people are coming over and consuming consistently from the kegs, not when I grab a pint or two on a weeknight).

So my question is if the beer is carbed to 12 PSI and then I leave it at 6 PSI for a week or so, will the beer slowly go down to 6 PSI as well?

Thanks

I normally carb my beers up at 11-13 PSI in my kegerator. Then I turn my serving pressure down to 6-7 PSI when serving to reduce the amount of foam (only really do this when people are coming over and consuming consistently from the kegs, not when I grab a pint or two on a weeknight).

So my question is if the beer is carbed to 12 PSI and then I leave it at 6 PSI for a week or so, will the beer slowly go down to 6 PSI as well?

Thanks

This is what I use to do. The carb level will drop slowly. But just make your serving line longer. Problem solved.

Personally, I have found it takes a very long time for me to notice a drop in carbonation when I do what you are describing. Whether that means I'm just not detecting the difference, or it really does take a long time (I mean 2-3 weeks), I'm not sure...

I'm with the "Buy longer lines...problem solved" group where you set the pressure based on temp and volume levels and leave it alone. I have 10ft lines and pour perfect pints each time.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will eventually get some longer lines. It's not that annoying currently but it is on my list to do.

Personally, I have found it takes a very long time for me to notice a drop in carbonation when I do what you are describing. Whether that means I'm just not detecting the difference, or it really does take a long time (I mean 2-3 weeks), I'm not sure...

It has virtually nothing to do with time, but rather how many times you pour a beer. If you never pour a beer, the carbonation won't drop at all. Each time you pour a beer the headspace pressure drops, allowing a little CO2 to come out of solution until it reaches equilibrium again. Do this enough times, and the carbonation eventually drops enough to match the lower serving pressure.

Back