Will a standard knot hold ok with baling twine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
I've got the thicker baling twine they sell at TSC and I put up my strings Sunday. I have them run at about a 45 degree angle from tie out stakes in the ground up the eye bolts in trees about 15 feet up. I'm not sure what you call the knot I made besides its just a standard knot. I put about 5-6 of them per end but I'm not super confident in them staying tied, seems the thicker the rope/twine gets the easier the knots work out. I have some Titebond III wood glue that I thought about putting on the knots after they were tied but I didn't think of this till after I was done. I could still do this but would have to break out the ladder again.

So what do you guys think?

I think five or six granny knots ought to hold the typical hop plant just fine :)
But if you're concerned enough, wrap the free end around the main line with a piece of duct tape and it'll stay put for the season...

Cheers!

you'll be fine, when the bine reaches the top of your support the twine is done being used for the year.

As long as it's natural fiber twine you'll be fine with one good square knot. Remember, right over left, left over right.

Back