Will a new batch fermenting heat up my secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theintern43

Reaction score
hello and cheers to everyone, got a kinda detailed question...so I have an IPA in the secondary that I plan on dry hopping this Saturday and bottling the following Wednesday in my chest freezer (with a Johnson controll set at 70) but I want to brew again this Friday....my chest freezer fits my secondary and primary but very snugly, so will the fermentation giving off heat from the primary bucket heat up the secondary carboy that's close by?

If the IPA is done fermenting it doesn't need to be in there anymore. Take it out and brew again.

I usually pull my brews from the chest freezer when feremnt activity has slowed considerably, meaning it's about done fermenting. Opinions vary but some say you only need to control temperature for the first 72 hours of primary ferment, as that is the critical time for temperature control for reducing esters and other off flavors.

ok I'll check the gravity when I get home on the IPA but to dry hop don't I want the beer cooler? as in 70 degrees as the warmest?

also what I should've asked originally, will heat be expelled outside of the primary? or will the plastic bucket contain the heat from fermentation inside?

ok I'll check the gravity when I get home on the IPA but to dry hop don't I want the beer cooler? as in 70 degrees as the warmest?

also what I should've asked originally, will heat be expelled outside of the primary? or will the plastic bucket contain the heat from fermentation inside?

There certainly is no advantage to dry hopping at cool temps. Most people on this forum would recommend slightly higher temps to help along the extraction of hop oils, so you should just remove the carboy from the chamber.

To answer your question: you will never need to worry about fermenting wort heating up another carboy or anything else. You are in a temp controlled chamber after all, and it is armed with a compressor that actively pumps heat out of the space.

Latest posts

Back