Will a homebrew bumper sticker help to get me pulled over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my plate used to read JCKDNLS. I used to have to check my gun in and out of my dorm room and the campus police used to love it. Dont worry, just don't drive drunk

I would put it on, there is nothing they can do to you except waste your time.
I am currently looking for where my friend got his bumper sticker "I am Not a Republican".

I have a sticker that says "I'd rather be homebrewing", but I also have my EMT sticker.

so if the EMT sticker gets me not pulled over and the other gets me pulled over, I guess I just nullified them both.

I had a friend back in NM who was a firefighter, and NM had special license plates for firefighters. He got pulled over once leaving a bar and the cop walked to the window and said "Sorry, I didn't notice the Firefighter plate, have a good evening."

As for profiling... I used to be profiled for the building I lived in (lots of drug dealers/addicts have traditionally lived there.) Every time that I was coming/going and the police were near, they would slow down/stop/turn around and watch what I was doing. Just goes to show that you never know.

I had a friend back in NM who was a firefighter, and NM had special license plates for firefighters. He got pulled over once leaving a bar and the cop walked to the window and said "Sorry, I didn't notice the Firefighter plate, have a good evening."

As for profiling... I used to be profiled for the building I lived in (lots of drug dealers/addicts have traditionally lived there.) Every time that I was coming/going and the police were near, they would slow down/stop/turn around and watch what I was doing. Just goes to show that you never know.
I got pulled over once with a burnt out taillight, couldn't find my insurance, and then come to find out that the guy (who was a friend of a friend) had a bag of hash in his pocket.

but yeah, I couldn't find my insurance and the cop was like "well just get your taillight fixed, have a good one"

A couple of points from a law enforcement perspective:

Profiling is not illegal or even wrong. Racial profiling is illegal and wrong. Criminal profiling is an effective law enforcement tool.

This stuff about "cops will pull you over for wearing a ballcap" is new to me. I've never heard of it, and couldn't possibly understand what effectiveness it might have.

If you don't drive drunk, obey the law as much as you can, and know the right things to do if you are ever stopped in a traffic stop, the odds of getting a ticket or arrested are very slim. A homebrew sticker on your car has an exceptionally low probability of getting you stopped.

Given all the legal hassles thrown at cops these days, the last thing their gonna do is pull you over for a bumper sticker. Worrying about this is either a sign of paranoia, Internet urban legend nonsense (like that crack about ballcaps), or latent anti-police attitude.

I've been pulled over twice in my life--both times for a burned out light. No tickets, no warning, just a polite "hey, FYI your light's out, please get it fixed".

I have a sticker that says - I brew the beer I drink. I'm thinking about putting on my car. Do you think this will help get me pulled over? Or do you think it doesn't really matter? I don't want to draw the wrong kind of attention to myself.

Do you have a homebrewing bumper sticker on your car?

With 20 years of Law Enforcement under my belt. Most of them with the Special Operations Section, Traffic Enforcement section.
I wouldn't think twice about it. Other then the fact there is a fellow home brewer in front of me!!!

Also, I HAVE SEEN these on vehicles...

Now I have seen a lot worse...one would be the cartoon character "Calvin" with the middle finger up.

Thanks for the replies - especially from the law enforcement side. If I do put it on my car, it will probably get placed on my wind deflector (fairing?) at the front of my car above the windshield.

Don't drink and drive, obey most of the traffic laws, and put whatever kind of bumpersticker you want on your vehicle.

Damn right!

I wouldn't do it personally. With todays anti-DUI climate, there is no reason to give them any ammunition towards their prosecution of you. A solid DUI defense costs close to 10K (at least mine did and I won). Even if you plead guilty, you are looking at at least 1500 in fines, hassles beyond belief (court appointed therapy, possible ignition interlocks, and major hassles from your employer, etc.) mandatory insurance surcharges etc., not to mention it's the new version of a scarlet letter. It's just not worth it.

Sounds like you drink & drive still....:mad:

A car is the last place you want to put anything related to drinking alcohol.

Why? do you drink & drive?

That being said...the officers I know wouldn't pull you over. Or if they did they'd ask for a "roadie" as it really is boring in my area of the "Pine Barrens"

Back in the late 70's , I loved driving through the pine barrens on my way back from Avalon to West Chester, PA ... 551/557 (?) ..what a unique area.

As far as bumpersticker, my wife put on "Challenge Authority" on her old Chevy Nova .. 1 week later a state cop pulled her over, for no apparent reason.

I am still going to get the license plate 'ZYMRGST" .. only fellow brewers will decipher that (and maybe scrabble/crossword puzzle champs)

Back in the 90's, I did get pulled over for a bumper sticker that said "******* Behind Me".

The cop told me he pulled me over for the profane wording. Didn't get a fine or citation though.

By the way, he was an *******. The bumper sticker was right.

Bumper stickers on vehicles are stupid, the message is dumb, it looks tacky/trashy and they never draw positive responses. You do not see "tramp stamps" on SI swim suit models and you do not see Jaguars with bumper stickers and there is a reason for it.

Your political party/rep - who cares. No one votes based on crap on a car...ever or are these basically "I am a proud sheep" statement?

Collage University - I am more interested in what kindergarten teacher passed you and why. Red = stop/Green = go it is not that tricky.

Religious stuff - especially that "coexist" sticker - I almost fashioned one for my old beater truck in the same fashion that read "Genocide", then remembered I hate bumper stickers...

A smart ass comment - Let's make the person that has the power to "get up under you and put you in the wall" just a little more angry...

Any advertisement or possible illegal activity correlation - WTF are you thinking? Flying dead head, pot, alcohol stickers. If a law enforcement officer sees YOU swerve even a tiny bit guess who is gonna get pulled over???

I am not trying to be a jerk I am just trying to save you from yourself.

EDIT: Bah It is a necro thread....still doesn't change my opinion...

My sticker reads "NO FARMS. NO BEER."

Not the same as yours but I get a lot of compliments and never any trouble.

Any advertisement or possible illegal activity correlation - WTF are you thinking? Flying dead head, pot, alcohol stickers. If a law enforcement officer sees YOU swerve even a tiny bit guess who is gonna get pulled over???

I am not trying to be a jerk I am just trying to save you from yourself.

EDIT: Bah It is a necro thread....still doesn't change my opinion...

Not a huge fan of stickers on the back of my vehicle either, although I have two currently... However, I do feel that it doesn't matter if it's a jesus sticker or a pot leaf, it is your right to display it.

I have to seriously believe in something before I'll take a public stand on it. If I put the HBT sticker in my back window, I would do it because I believe in it. It's not a statement to say 'pull me over, i'm drunk'. It has nothing to do with drinking and driving. In fact, it doesn't have anything to do with driving at all!

I really don't need to be saved from myself. I know that if I ever get pulled over, it won't be because of 'swerving while drunk'. Not only would I embarass myself but, with that sticker on my truck, I would feel a little ashamed...

Latest posts

Back