Will a 220v STC-1000 work on a 240v system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennihana

Reaction score
I want to get an STC-1000 temperature controller but where i live runs a 240v electrical system. will the 220v controller handle that. it does not have the +/- 10% on it but shouldnt i really be only worried about the ampload at those volts?

Sweet. Good to know.

Is this true with most 220,230,240 volt systems? if i buy other things that are rated for 220 they should still work as long as i am watching my amperage?

my understanding is that 110v/115v/120v are the same thing as are 220v/230v/240v. If you were to actually measure the voltage on that supply it would be somewhere in that range.

my understanding is that 110v/115v/120v are the same thing as are 220v/230v/240v. If you were to actually measure the voltage on that supply it would be somewhere in that range.

Yes in most cases.... but don't forget the newer"208v" found in the US in most new builds... some equipment designed for 220/240 won't work well on 208v.

Yes in most cases.... but don't forget the newer"208v" found in the US in most new builds... some equipment designed for 220/240 won't work well on 208v.

Haven't seen much 208VAC (3 phase 115VAC) in residential applications, especially single family housing.

Haven't seen much 208VAC (3 phase 115VAC) in residential applications, especially single family housing.

I've got it in a 20 year old condo building. Seems they built the place with a 3 phase source. Only figured that out when checking my split plugs in the kitchen, then had a bit more math to do because running 240v elements at 208v gives 75% power output. Easy enough to overcome.

FWIW my stove works fine, common dryers work fine, water heater is fine, and the brew kettle is being tested tonight. I can't see having 208v in a single family dwelling. Unless for some reason the building company decided that it would be doing the whole neighborhood a favour by wiring the mains as though it was going to be a manufacturing facility. But why would they go and do that? Oh 3 phase power, you perplex me.

But getting back to the original question it should work just fine. 220/240 are interchangeable in 99% of applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

I don’t know why people keep saying ‘110' (or 220) but I wish they’d stop. If you have 110 service you better get it fixed before you burn your house down.

The nominal service voltage in the US is 120 Volts RMS. ANSI spec is ±5%, so 114-126, or 228-252. This is the voltage at the meter. It tends to run a little high, say 123-124, and the regulation is pretty tight.

To put it into perspective, the outlet in my kitchen is showing123.9, no load. When I plug in an 1800w induction plate it drops to 121.5 @ 15 amps.

In my work, I’ve measured line voltage hundreds of times and I don’t recall ever seeing less than 120. That’s with a well calibrated RMS meter.

As for the STC-1000, it’s not critical, it’s regulated internally. My best guess is that ‘220V’ is a minimum. They’re selling this thing internationally where the standard is 230.

I've got it in a 20 year old condo building. Seems they built the place with a 3 phase source. Only figured that out when checking my split plugs in the kitchen, then had a bit more math to do because running 240v elements at 208v gives 75% power output. Easy enough to overcome.

FWIW my stove works fine, common dryers work fine, water heater is fine, and the brew kettle is being tested tonight. I can't see having 208v in a single family dwelling. Unless for some reason the building company decided that it would be doing the whole neighborhood a favour by wiring the mains as though it was going to be a manufacturing facility. But why would they go and do that? Oh 3 phase power, you perplex me.

But getting back to the original question it should work just fine. 220/240 are interchangeable in 99% of applications.

You will see it a lot in multiple family housing, like condos in your case or extremely large homes. Other than that you will see older 240 3 phase power with 208 wild leg. Usually homes were wired single phase and a 3 phase drop to the ac unit.

Getting off subject though...

Back