Wilko Wine Kit - question about topping up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurtTheCop

Reaction score
Just a quick question guys!

Ok long story short - got a Wilko Wine starter kit to make 4.5l. Said to start with 1.8l then on the 3rd day to up to 4.5l with cooled boiled water.

Today is the 3rd day - now this is what I need to know - does it matter if it splashes into the wine when I pour it in? I'm new to brewing and only done 3 batches of beer so far and this is my first try at a wine kit. Now I know beer can't be oxygenated once it's got going so is it the same with wine?

Thank you in advance for your help, it is appreciated as always

View attachment 1443088795428.jpg

If you use a funnel, the splashing will be minimal, you're adding what appears to be a half gallon of water, I don't think that you really have to worry about it. I'd be more concerned that the water that you are adding isn't cold, it could slow down and even stop fermentation.

I can always angle the funnel to minimise splashing - i.e so the water mainly runs down the side of the demijohn.

Will room temp water be oK?

Edit: also - is there any methodology behind only adding 1.8l in the first stage? Why can you just start off with 4.5l?

I can always angle the funnel to minimise splashing - i.e so the water mainly runs down the side of the demijohn.

Will room temp water be oK?

Edit: also - is there any methodology behind only adding 1.8l in the first stage? Why can you just start off with 4.5l?

I suspect the "wait three days and then top off" is to give the yeast beasts time to multiply...a little yeast fornication party!

I also would not worry about splashing with the top off water...for what it's worth, I stir my wine must pretty hard for the first 4 or 5 days to actually try and add air. You are making wine not beer, at this point don't worry about oxidation. BUT....I would make real sure that your top off water and your must are the same or very close to the same temp...too hot kills, too cold shocks...keep the beasts happy.

Trust me....my opinion and five bucks will get you a free cup of coffee!;)

Wine or beer, either one, O2 doesn't hurt, in fact can even help, while it is still fermenting.after fermentation precautions need to be taken.
aside from that, unless you boiled the water first, there is O2 in it.

Thank you for the info guys - very informative for someone who knows literally nothing about wine making!

I topped it up but the boiled water seemed to take ages to cool so I boiled the kettle and topped up with cold tap water and kept checking it with the thermometer to get it to approximately the same temperature as the wine.

Funnelled it in and replaced the airlock and the yeast just went crazy, totally flooded the airlock and made a mess, although it calmed itself down after an hour or so, so cleaned the airlock and part filled with vodka and replaced. It is now very happily fizzing and bubbling away!

Back