(wildly) conflicting O.G. from recipe calculators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainP

Reaction score
I recently brewed up a batch of IIPA from a recipe I just threw together. It is as follows:

9.9 Lb. Amber Liquid Malt Extract
2 Lb. Cane Sugar
1.0 Lb. Crystal 40
.5 Lb. Carapils

1 oz. Centinnial @ 60
1 oz. Northern Brewer @ 45
1 oz Cascade @ 30
appx. .6 oz Centennial @ 15

.5 tsp Irish Moss
EDIT: .5 tsp DAP yeast nutrient(don't tell anybody I cheated)

1 pkg. Safale US - 05

Crushed carapils, then crystal lightly in food processor (hopefully Santa brings me a hand-crank grain mill), Steeped in (clean) nylon paint bag until water approached boiling(careful not to get above 180 or so). Brought remaining water to boil (by this time about 6.0 gal.), then followed above hop schedule, then added LME till dissolved, then flame out, then irish moss, then cooled(to appx. 80),(added DAP), then cascaded from ball valve through sanitized funnel into fermentor. Pitched rehydrated yeast, then drove home with airlocked brew in frigid weather(have you hugged your carboy today?).

My O.G. reading at the time(after cooling) was 1.071. I suspect my hydrometer was poorly calibrated(I believe it should have been .01 higher), and believe I have since corrected the problem by tapping the paper down a tad(or up? I can't remember, but I think it's fixed, and I'm *pretty sure* it's reading was .01 lower than it should've been before adjustment).

My question is thus: Why do I get two conflicting calculations from brewer's friend and BYO for OG? BYO's calculator says I should've been at 1.058, The calculator at brewer's friend says I should've been at 1.081 assuming a 15% efficiency of grains (the crush wasn't spectacular). Which one's right?

While I have your attention, did I underpitch? Fermentation was noticeable at 12 hours and vigorous at 16. If my FG is high when I go to secondary to age on top of oak chips and dry hops should I add different yeast?

This is my first post here @ HBT; hello, cheers :mug: and thanks all!

Last edited:
LME is about 36 ppg (points per pound per gallon), sugar is 46 ppg, assume nothing from the steeped grains.
So 9.9x36 + 2x46 = 356.4 + 92 = 448.4 points

448.4/5 gals = 89.68 or 1.089 SG

For 6 gallons 448.4/6 = 74.7 points or 1.075

0.01 difference on the hydrometer is negligible and not worth messing with.

For 5 gallons I get you about 1.092.

Extract alone will get you to 1.070, and the sugar will add .018. Plus some for the crystal.

LME is about 36 ppg (points per pound per gallon), sugar is 46 ppg, assume nothing from the steeped grains.
So 9.9x36 + 2x46 = 356.4 + 92 = 448.4 points

448.4/5 gals = 89.68 or 1.089 SG

For 6 gallons 448.4/6 = 74.7 points or 1.075

0.01 difference on the hydrometer is negligible and not worth messing with.

Thanks for the equation to work that out myself next time. Nothing for steeped grain because I didn't mash, correct?

Nothing for steeped grain because I didn't mash, correct?

You will get nothing from from the carapils.

You might get about 18 points from the crystal. Crystals, especially the mid color crystals provide a lot of sugars; mostly unfermentable.

You will get nothing from from the carapils.

You might get about 18 points from the crystal. Crystals, especially the mid color crystals provide a lot of sugars; mostly unfermentable.

Those would be the same unfermentable sugars that give the mid color crystals the lovely flavors described as "caramel," "toffee," "molasses," etc?

Thanks for the clarification, those visibly did change the character of the water.... Wish I would have tasted the wort after steeping.

I am to assume those 18 points will add to the FG, along with lots of sugars in those malt extracts, correct? Where, then, should my ale finish based on the recipe above if I want to utilize *all* the sugar I can? I don't want to end up with a "sweet, cloying" ale. Honestly I want to maximize ABV, hence the cane sugar. This is only my fourth brew and brews 2 & 3 were literally undrinkable. Haven't mastered "RDWHAHB" yet.

Those would be the same unfermentable sugars that give the mid color crystals the lovely flavors described as "caramel," "toffee," "molasses," etc?

Whether a sugar is fermentable or not, it will contribute to specific gravity. Most homebrewers assume an efficiency of about 25% for steeping grains. It's a good ballpark figure.

Back to your original question... I've found that there are sometimes odd glitches in the brewing calculators, especially the free online ones. That's why it's good to be able to do the back-of-the-envelope calculatation like helibrewer did (good work!).

Hope this helps, welcome to the site. :mug:

Back