Wild yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I was trying to do a wild brew, so I boiled up 2 gallons of wheat extract, cooled it, and added it to about 1-2 lb of smashed grapes from the garden. It took almost a week to take off and who knows what all is actually floating around the air in the brew basement. I'm just wondering if this is actually likely to have been a wild yeast to ferment this beer? I've split a batch of hefe and put half of that beer in this same vessel. Anyways, because it took a while to really start fermenting, I'm just trying to decide if this is actually a wild beer, or if it was maybe residual yeast from the hefe, or maybe just random yeast floating around the beer basement. I know this post is a bit rambling, but what do you guys/gals think?

Not sure what you mean by adding heffe... The wort, or something you pitched yeast, finished beer? Yeast is in the air, and naturally would be on the grapes, along with other organisims of course. So, I'd say likely wild, unless you added other yeast, then who knows what strain took over, but likely to have wild character developed in the first 10 days I suppose.

I just meant I'd used that fermenter before, and wasn't sure if there would be enough residual yeast from that batch, after sanitation, to effect the ferment. I'm sure it's wild, but just curious of the likelihood that it might be something else.

I guess what I'm asking is what's the chance of a commercial yeast infection when trying to do a wild ale?

Back