Wild Yeast and 2015 BJCP guidelines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krebs119

Reaction score
Hello all,

Last spring I was able to harvest yeast from my yard. It tastes and smells very similar to Wit yeast. I don't get any sour/brett flavors at all. I have brewed a few Wits with it and it seems very fitting for Wits....

That said, I'm looking at entering a Wit I brewed with it into a local competition soon, but having a hard time deciding which category to go into.

I was initially thinking 28C - Wild Specialty beer, but reading the description that's for a fruit-wild beer. Technically there is orange peel and coriander in this beer, but I wouldn't call it a fruit beer. I could enter it as a Wit, but I don't want points knocked off because it's wild.

Any thoughts on where I should enter this?

you can enter it as whatever the f00k you want. They dont know what you put in it.

Does the beer display characteristics typical of wild yeasts?

Go by the style descriptions. As already noted, they don't know what yeast you used. 28C states that the beer "Should show the fruit, sour and/or funk of a wild fermentation", which this beer doesn't show by the sounds of it.

As long as it fits the style guidelines for 24A.Witbier, then enter it as such. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Back