Wild hops on the balcony?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miraculix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is this little fellow wild hop? I live in Bremen and wild hops are literally everywhere here, so it wouldn't be too surprising.

IMG_20210712_144627.jpg

Last edited:
It sure looks like it is. Maybe a seed ended up in your planter and just started growing? One characteristic of hops is that they have little barbs along their stem so if you run your finger lightly up the stem, you should feel like it's running up a dull hacksaw blade.

It sure looks like it is. Maybe a seed ended up in your planter and just started growing? One characteristic of hops is that they have little barbs along their stem so if you run your finger lightly up the stem, you should feel like it's running up a dull hacksaw blade.
Ok, that's definitely the case, this thing has a very scratchy stem :D. I will transfer that one into it's own designated pot and hope that it's going to be a female plant. :)

It's a Blackadder thing, riffing off Shakespeare's love of cross-dressing. Kate is a woman who dresses as a man called Bob, first as a servant during the reign of Elizabeth I in Blackadder 2, then as a WWI soldier in Blackadder 4. The same actress also turns up in another Ben Elton sitcom, Upstart Crow, playing an older character in Elizabethan times called Robert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bells_(Blackadder)
Those who can get iPlayer can see the full thing : Blackadder - Blackadder II: 1. Bells
There's a few snippets on Youtube eg :

Nice find! I have never in my life come across a wild hop plant. Supposedly they do grow natively here in Colorado.

Back