Wild ferm down to pH 3.7, want to stop it.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittybug

Reaction score
I'm not a huge sour fan, but with all precautions in place to not contaminate my whole brewery, I made a sour using White Labs(?) Belgian sour mix yeast and what was essentially a witbier grain bill. It's sitting in a dedicated corny keg as a fermenter and been at it for about 5 months at ~85* F. I need to do a final gravity check, but it's going to be somewhere around a 6% beer I believe.

I just tasted it and I definitely get the Brett which I like and it is sour enough for my liking. I figure cold and carbonated it will 'pop' sour even more. pH is right around 3.7 per my calibrated meter.

At this point do I cold crash, transfer to a clean keg and carbonate? Should I be doing something to stop the souring at all? I'm going to make sure to have a sacrificial picnic tap to use so that I don't go through my keezer taps.

Thanks for the advice.

The contamination risk is overblown in my opinion, but caution never hurts.

If you're keeping the keg cold there's nothing you need to do to stop additional souring.

I'd go ahead and transfer to your serving keg if you think it's good enough at this point. You don't necessary need to cold crash before transferring because it should be clear after 5 months.
As with any beer, avoid oxygen.

Cheers

Really hard to dial in sourness level in a mixed ferment. Additional dry hops could do it, but that would obviously change the character of the beer. Your only other option is to blend with a sweeter beer, which again would change the beer, likely dramatically. Pasteurization usually isn't an option at the home brew level.

Really hard to dial in sourness level in a mixed ferment. Additional dry hops could do it, but that would obviously change the character of the beer. Your only other option is to blend with a sweeter beer, which again would change the beer, likely dramatically. Pasteurization usually isn't an option at the home brew level.
Although it's not needed in this case because it'll be kept cold, there is another option beyond what you mentioned:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/lysovin-lysozyme.html

Cheers

Last edited:
Back