Wife needs advice...again :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerdling1

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I wrote a post a few weeks about about building my hubby a kegerator for his birthday. Well, today is the day and I have everything set up...but the beer is super foamy. I guess I am nervous I messed up somehow! Some background- the fridge was delivered today and is still trying to cool down, the guy said it takes 24 hours. Also, I bought the kegs today, so loading, unloading, etc.

What I really want to know, is this normal? Do the kegs have to get really cold before getting less foamy? The guys at the brew store walked me through everything and did all of my hose connections for me in the store. PSI is at 10/11. Thanks in advance!

I think you are on the right track.
warm-ish kegs, moving them around, fridge not cooled yet. those will all definitely cause some foaming.
i missed your original post. but if it's a kegerator with a tower, the tower can get warmer too, warming the beerlines, and causing the first pour to be foamy.
Can always wait a day, let the kegs settle, and cool completely, and see how much that changes the foaming.
great gift BTW!

I think you are on the right track.
warm-ish kegs, moving them around, fridge not cooled yet. those will all definitely cause some foaming.
i missed your original post. but if it's a kegerator with a tower, the tower can get warmer too, warming the beerlines, and causing the first pour to be foamy.
Can always wait a day, let the kegs settle, and cool completely, and see how much that changes the foaming.
great gift BTW!

Agreed! you have t let everything settle down and cool off before you can expect a nicely poured beer. besides if it isnt perfect right off the bat it will give him something to tinker with. I know i always enjoy playing with my beer toys! :mug:

I had this problem serving at 12 psi in my fridge and 6' lines. Some genius at work said "turn the gas down." And it worked. I turned down to 4 or 5 psi with far better results.

i have 6 ft lines in my keezer and serve at around 11 with no problems. Something to consider though is if there is a leak it might foam more. Also not to say you cant pour a beer, but it took my wife some time to pour her beer correctly without getting half beer and half foam.

Give it a day before you start really tinkering with things.

Personally, I think you are OK. Give it some time to cool down. Fresh kegs, after being moved around, warmed up even a little bit, always produce a lot of foam. Even in my fridge that was previously cooled, it would take quite some time to get a fresh keg to settle down.

IF you want to celebrate with a drink tonight, just dispense into a pitcher and serve from there for tonight, all should be well by tomorrow evening.

Even if it is foamy, he will love it. Plus if he gets to tinker with it to make it pour right, then bonus. Most guys love a little diy.

I'd turn off the CO2 right now, then pull the ring-pull on either the corny keg or the Sankey (the piece that plugs into the top of the keg) until it stops hissing (will be probably 10 seconds or less).
Turn the CO2 valve down a little (6-8 psi) and then turn the CO2 back on
Pour yourself one for a job well done, there's nothing wrong with drinking the initially poured foamy stuff

I agree with Clonefan, let it cool down a day or two and things settle down. If you dink with it now you could be chasing this for weeks.
Now the important thang, could you become best friends with my wife and help her understand this beer thang? LOL

Based on your previous post, I don't know how you husband feels about tinkering, but I'd be interested to see how it turned out after letting things settle for 24 hours.

You will want to turn the PSI down, if you want it up at 10-11 PSI you will want to scrap the beverage lines you have now and go with 10-12ft lines at 3/16" ID. Good rule of thumb is to keep the PSI down around the length of your lines at 3/16" ID. ;0)

Give it a day before you start really tinkering with things.

Personally, I think you are OK. Give it some time to cool down. Fresh kegs, after being moved around, warmed up even a little bit, always produce a lot of foam. Even in my fridge that was previously cooled, it would take quite some time to get a fresh keg to settle down.

IF you want to celebrate with a drink tonight, just dispense into a pitcher and serve from there for tonight, all should be well by tomorrow evening.

This

Also, any wife who builds a kegerator is hot

I gave it 24 hours before tinkering and I think it corrected itself. There may be 1 inch of foam now with a pour... And like a pp said, I might not be doing it correctly :)
I do wish I did 12 ft lines instead, you live and you learn!
I will post photos ASAP!

I am not computer literate, so I hope these photos attach! It is simple, but it does the job :)

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

photo.jpg

CPL,
I made the mistake of telling her he would tinker with it. He does not tinker! LOL

I go for letting it cool down and then drop the pressure.

Good luck, he will love it! Where are the Pictures of this, did you do anything special to it yet?

Oh, yeah. Hot wife!

Plus, the board across the back of the door is a great idea. When I route my gas lines through the wall of the fridge I will also plan on mounting a board or maybe some stainless sheet metal to keep the plastic door liner from flexing.

Setting up a proper kegging system requires balancing the variables:

Line diameter
Line Length
Temperature
Pressure

There is a chart that describes the recommended carbonation for the different styles of beer, and their recommended serving temperature. Ideally you will set the fridge to the recommended temp, then adjust the pressure going to the keg to match the carbonation level. You then match the proper line diameter with the proper line length to get a non-foamy pour. Most of the foam should come from the beer and from falling into the glass, not from the faucet itself.

Most keggers simply set a temperature they prefer their beer at and set the pressure to a common number, or if they have more than 1 regulator on their tank, they set the pressure recommended for the style of beer in that keg.

I recommend 10' lines at 3/16" for most people starting out. And yes, it can take a while for the temps to settle in and for the beer to settle after being moved around.

CPL,

Good luck, he will love it! Where are the Pictures of this, did you do anything special to it yet?

I posted a few pictures on the 2nd page of this thread. He was completely surprised and excited. I was relieved I was able to pull it all off in secret! He deserves it, I have never known anyone who works harder that him!

Back