Wife is PISSED!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake-k

want another? Yip
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Man o Man. My wife is really starting to not like my new habit, Brewing Beer!
Every other saturday is my brew day, which takes place in the kitchen. I end up drinking about ten beers previously brewed, and stink up the house. I'm still trying to figure out if she is more pissed about the amount of beer I drink or the smell that lingures in the house (which by the way who doesnt like the smell of a fresh made batch of beer). Anyway, bless her heart....

Get her some flowers.

Thankfully my wife looooooves the smell of my brew sessions. :ban:

I don't see why so many people don't like the smell of boiling wort. I think it smells amazing! My girlfriend likes the "smell" of it, but doesn't like the intensity of it. I have room mates who live upstairs from me who don't like the smell, but screw 'em.

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade to All Grain and start brewing outdoors. A simple turkey fryer would allow for outdoor boiling.

I got in to brewing meads...just to confuse mine...one day it would be the smell she hated, the next it would be the smell of berries and honey!!!
I just posted a new mead recipe that my girlfriend like to make with me...so maybe, you can get her to do the same...go from being your thing to our thing!

Thats all I need. How much longer does ag take versus pg and extract. If i'm drinking 8-10 beers now I might pass out before I get it in the fermentor.:drunk:

Depending on the mash schedule it's maybe another 1.5-2 hours extra work. Just pace yourself with the side beers. An average AG batch for me can take around 5 hours, so I could easily down a 12 pack, but I don't. I try to stay busy with taking notes or cleaning equipment.

How much longer does ag take versus pg and extract.

Depending on your process, it really doesn't take all that much longer. When I did extracts I would do 60 minute steeps followed by 60 minute boils. The only addition in time now is the sparging process.

+1 on the flowers. +1 on moving outdoors. You'll also need to brew something she likes to drink. Don't forget to have a conversation with her about the new brew house you need to build out back.:ban:

my wife also complains about the smell of the boiling wort, although i actually like the smell. i'm now considering buying a turkey fryer do do my boils outside. :mug:

Thats how I convinced mine I needed to go all grain(she doesnt like the smell). A turkey fryer and a mash tun.

Invest in all grain and move outside. Start early so you are done or close to done when she wakes up. I do this but its because I have 5 kids and having her deal with everything while I hang in the garage and drink beer while listening to itunes would get old fast. I get up at 3 am every other saturday and im cleaned and in fermenter by 8 so we can have coffee together. Its a small inconvenience to keep my wife happy that I brew.
As mentioned before though, the smell was pissing her off and moving outside made a world of difference..

My wife hates my hobby as well, but I think she associates it with being an alcoholic. Christ I only have 2 beers on my days off. It's not like I'm drinking 8 to 12 beers and getting wasted!? I got her to read an article that was in the Des Moines Register recently about being a "beer snob" and talking about craft beer. She understood where I was coming from a little better after that, but still doesn't want it to turn into something "larger" like alcoholism.

BIGREDIOWAN said:
My wife hates my hobby as well, but I think she associates it with being an alcoholic. Christ I only have 2 beers on my days off. It's not like I'm drinking 8 to 12 beers and getting wasted!?

SWMBO thinks the same. Plus she HATES the smell.

my wife is prone to migraines, and can't stand strong smells, so i had to go outside years ago with the brew. i went all-grain at that time, and now i love my brew time as it's 5 hours i can sit outside and drink beer and goof off

I count myself lucky.. my non-wife/girlfriend/partner/best friend LOVES brewing with me... she loves the smell of the wort, especially when the hops go in, and is more than happy to help me consume what we've created.

When I do brew inside and trash the kitchen, she says (and I quote): "Oh, don't worry about that, baby.. I'll clean it up."

She's a keeper.

I count myself lucky.. my non-wife/girlfriend/partner/best friend LOVES brewing with me... she loves the smell of the wort, especially when the hops go in, and is more than happy to help me consume what we've created.

When I do brew inside and trash the kitchen, she says (and I quote): "Oh, don't worry about that, baby.. I'll clean it up."

She's a keeper.

Please tell me she has a sister!!!

apparently, if your SWMBO likes the smell, you got a winner. The only thing my SWMBO hates is that I take up the kitchen, living room, bathroom, and dining room when I brew. I clean as I brew, and use the bathroom to clean since I have no outside hose. best SWMBO ever!!!!!

I guess I'm really glad I don't have a wife!

That would be hot.... ;)

My wife doesn't like the smell either. When she was pregnant I about got killed for brewing one day (super smelling ability). I keep the aroma to a minimum now with the electric brewery in the basement. I have a range hood over it that blows the steam/smell outside.

Would like to brew outside again now that it is summer, gotta make my system a bit more portable, and add a 220V plug on the outside... maybe in the garage, that way I could use it when I buy a welder too hmmmm...

jake-k said:
I'm still trying to figure out if she is more pissed about the amount of beer I drink or the smell that lingures in the house

Why don't you ask her?

A wife can be tricky to figure out so maybe the smell isn't that bad, but she associates it with you drinking 10 beers in 4-5 hours. Maybe the smell really does piss her off and she wouldn't mind if you were doing keg stands all day. Just talk to her and maybe you can get some answers.

Ten beers while brewing a kit in the kitchen, presumably alone. I suspect I'd hate the smell of it if I had any hopes of a lifetime with you.

Yeah, 10 beers in that time. I've been drinking more beer in the 8-9 months since I've been brewing I drink 3 a night or so, but will take a week off. I am almost afraid to drink while brewing b/c I don't want to forget to clean something and have it be a B**** to clean later. If i keep my stuff clean, its easier to sanatize later.

Yeah, 10 beers in that time. I've been drinking more beer in the 8-9 months since I've been brewing I drink 3 a night or so, but will take a week off. I am almost afraid to drink while brewing b/c I don't want to forget to clean something and have it be a B**** to clean later. If i keep my stuff clean, its easier to sanatize later.

It's against all that is holy...to not drink while you brew!!!

Guys thanks to the advise some of you posted I convinced SWMBO it would be better if I brewed outside. She went with me to Bass Pro yesterday to buy my shiny SS turkey fryer kit with a spigot and 58,000 btu burner!. Woohoo! Plus I ordered a 50' copper immersion chiller. Sweet! Now I can finally go all grain.

Congrats, glad to hear you were able to come to an agreement. Enjoy the new process.

jake-k said:
Man o Man. My wife is really starting to not like my new habit, Brewing Beer!
Every other saturday is my brew day, which takes place in the kitchen. I end up drinking about ten beers previously brewed, and stink up the house. I'm still trying to figure out if she is more pissed about the amount of beer I drink or the smell that lingures in the house (which by the way who doesnt like the smell of a fresh made batch of beer). Anyway, bless her heart....

Man, I think brewing smell should be a cologne.....best smell ever.

Latest posts

Back