Wife is allergic to mesquite honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy

Reaction score
I picked up a half gallon of mesquite honey from a local grove and made a mesquite mead out of it. Of course, I had some left over so we were all eating on it with biscuits and toast. My wife started developing a rash around her lips and went to the doctor. Found out that she's allergic to mesquite trees and was reacting to the honey made from it. I'm wondering if she'll react to the mead as well. I made of bochet with some wild flower honey mixed in but right now we're thinking she won't be able to have either one. Has anyone had an allergy to a type of honey but were still able to drink mead made for that same honey?

Oh man, sorry for your wife, a rash around the lips sounds really annoying or worse. I wouldn't think the fermentation would impact whatever it is in mesquite that she's allergic to. But, the honey would be diluted in the mead by the water, so maybe the threshold level for her would be high enough that she wouldn't have a reaction.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I generally know what I'm talking about . . . .

I picked up a half gallon of mesquite honey from a local grove and made a mesquite mead out of it. Of course, I had some left over so we were all eating on it with biscuits and toast. My wife started developing a rash around her lips and went to the doctor. Found out that she's allergic to mesquite trees and was reacting to the honey made from it. I'm wondering if she'll react to the mead as well. I made of bochet with some wild flower honey mixed in but right now we're thinking she won't be able to have either one. Has anyone had an allergy to a type of honey but were still able to drink mead made for that same honey?

Is anaphylactic shock worth finding out?

The only way I'd be willing to find out was if the Doctor would let me bring the two bottles to the waiting room and drink them there. I've seen this done with a shrimp to confirm/disprove a suspected shrimp allergy.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I generally know what I'm talking about . . . .

But I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night...

Seriously, don’t mess with allergies, buy some orange blossom honey.

And smoke your pork butt with hickory...

Smoked pork and orange blossom mead...mmmmmmmmm.

Back