Wierd Outcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizmark21

Reaction score
I brewed a high gravity ale and I am worried that it was infected. I fermented in a brewing bucket and had a bit of blow off through the air lock. Cleaned and sanitized the airlock a few times and left to continue fermenting. I transferred after a week of fermentation (Gravity was right where I wanted it), but when I transferred I noticed that the beer was not as clear as I'm used to. I tasted a bit and it had a bit of a sour taste. I am hoping that their is still a lot of yeast suspended in the beer and that is what is causing both the problems. Could that be the case of am I just blowing smoke and need to pitch the beer and start over?

Thanks

im sure its fine, a high gravity ale can take longer to ferment and for the yeast to settle out. leave it in the secondary for at least another two weeks and take another sample. don't dump it. also high gravity beers need a longer time to age. it is very green and young at this stage so give it time and i bet it will improve a lot.

Back