Wierd old cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
While cleaning out the cellar of my parent's old house, I found some old cider I made in the early '90s.

Normally back then I used 50 gallon whisky barrels, but I found a full carboy with dry airlock and a sealed 30 gallon plastic drum (the kind used for industrial corrosives) still full of liquid. I'm sure I put it there, and all I made was cider and beer back then, no wine, and I bottled and kegged all my beer. Yet this stuff tastes like watery sherry. It was probably somewhat fortified with sugar or honey, I can not remember,, pretty sure I never had an airlock on the chemical drum. I do remember the stuff in the drum had turned to jelly at some point, years later, but many years ago, but smelled good, now it is the color of grade B maple syrup, and liquid, smells just like the stuff in the carboy.

By what process could cider turn to a sherry like product? It tastes and smells pretty good, considering, but not sure I'd find myself drinking much of it.

I also found some for sure cider I had bottled up after fermentation in barrels during that period, and it tasted predictably like sour, oxidized cider.

Well, Sherry is fortified wine that has been partially oxidized under proper conditions...
Sounds like your old cider may have also been partially oxidized under similar conditions. If it's not to your drinking taste, maybe you can cook with it?
Regards, GF.

I have a quick question: is it safe to jack my hard cider if I’ve added “natural apple flavoring”. ?

Latest posts

Back