widgetlords

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtipsy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone looking at or using the boards from widgetlords.com? Got any comments or tips?

I've seen on this forum that people have qualms about using a raspberry pi for process control. Why is that?

Hardware stuff is mostly over my head for the moment but I write software for a living and this looks pretty cool.

I havn't used widgetlords before. Looks like just selling Raspberry Pi stuff.

I don't have any problems with Raspberry Pi. It's cheap, easy to set up, and can do a lot of automation. It's just a tiny computer that can give signals to hardware.

I think the most problem I've seen is people having SD card problems, and loosing power during the brewing. I'm sure there're solutions to these problems, but they are not a big concern for me atm.

I've used widget lords before. I think they have some nice products. I had a positive customer experience. I've been meaning to write some CraftBeerPi plugins for the board I have from them.

Placed an order for:
  • PI-SPI-DIN-8AI Analog Input
  • PI-SPI-DIN-4KO Relay Output
  • PI-SPI-DIN-RTC-RS485
Which board have you got jangevaa? I'd be happy to help with the CraftBeerPi plugins.

Placed an order for:
  • PI-SPI-DIN-8AI Analog Input
  • PI-SPI-DIN-4KO Relay Output
  • PI-SPI-DIN-RTC-RS485
Which board have you got jangevaa? I'd be happy to help with the CraftBeerPi plugins.

Right on. I've got the Pi-SPi-8AI. I expect it it would be quite easy to do, just haven't found the time yet. I have some 4-20ma pressure transducers for volume measurement purposes. Incorporating those is part of the end game.

Pis crash, plain and simple. Like a normal computer, with a normal OS. This is a function of the software. This isn't the end of the world, but can put your system automation in question if something bugs out.

A microcontroller, like arduinos and microprocessors, like PLCs are based off hardware.

I'm having a hard time getting the libraries downloaded onto the raspberry pi, can anyone give me advice on how to go bout doing it

You got to provide a bit more information than that dude.

- What have you tried?
- What did you expect to happen?
- What actually happened?

I'm installing these libraries right now.

I followed the instructions that was stated for serial. then I went to the web links that are listed and downloaded, and unzipped the latest version (v1.0.2) on both my laptop and raspberry pi. also I tried copy and past the links to terminal it replies (no such file or directory) .when I attempt to use the terminal (sudo dpkg -i libwidgetlords_1.0.2_armhf.deb) command it replies (dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'libwidgetlords_1.0.2_armhf.deb': no such file or directory). I have tried removing the (sudo apt remove libwidgetlords ) just incase I have installed it before while doing a previous project.

I'm expecting to be able to use these pi attachments on rex controls, but in order to do so I must first get the pi to recognize the attachments.

The error message says "no such file or directory" which means that the file libwidgetlords_1.0.2_armhf.deb isn't in the directory that you are running the command from. You can check this by typing
Code:
ls
into the terminal (it lists the files and folders in a directory).

You can also download the file from the command line which might assuage any confusion. This is what I did:

download with

Code:
wget https://github.com/widgetlords/libwidgetlords/releases/download/v1.0.2/libwidgetlords_1.0.2_armhf.deb

then install

Code:
sudo dpkg -i libwidgetlords_1.0.2_armhf.deb

thanks I'm about to test now I did not get any errors this way I appreciate that

also if I may, ask how did you come up with this? I'm fairly new to this field, and knowing how to resolve issues like this would be a huge help

Last edited:
I've been working with computers for a while and a lot of stuff becomes automatic ... like driving a car.

My advice is this: aim for understanding.

- Don't just copy and paste commands or code but rather think about what each is doing and why.
- Pay attention to error messages (they are a good thing) they often tell you what went wrong.
- Learn to ask good questions. Use the template from above. Provide as much detail as you can in a simple logical manner. Often writing a question down in this way will help you answer it because in order to effectively communicate the problem to another person you have to understand it first.

Back