Why won't gas go into corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodOfThunder

Reaction score
This is going to be a dumb question, but I’m trying to keg up my beer and can’t get the gas into the keg. I’ve never used a corny keg before, but I’ve used Sankey, so I have some idea of what to do.
I put the plastic adapter thing on the keg and turned the gas on and nothing goes into the keg. I’ve messed with the pressure and everything else, but it won’t go into the keg. Am I missing something really stupid?

If I unscrew the top of the plastic adapter (which you aren’t supposed to unscrew), the gas comes out of the adapter and starts going into the keg.

Sounds like the poppet valve on your keg is somehow stuck. Can you push the center piece on your post down?

This is going to be a dumb question, but I’m trying to keg up my beer and can’t get the gas into the keg. I’ve never used a corny keg before, but I’ve used Sankey, so I have some idea of what to do.
I put the plastic adapter thing on the keg and turned the gas on and nothing goes into the keg. I’ve messed with the pressure and everything else, but it won’t go into the keg. Am I missing something really stupid?

If I unscrew the top of the plastic adapter (which you aren’t supposed to unscrew), the gas comes out of the adapter and starts going into the keg.

You have ball lock style corny kegs? Your plastic quick disconnect is gray, correct?

When you hook it up to the "in" side of the keg, no gas goes in at all? What do you have hooked up to the "out" post? Anything?

Yes, it is ball lock. I have nothing on the "out" post.

What could I use to push down the center pin? I just don't want to break anything.
I don't have a wrench to take the posts off, I will get one tomorrow. Luckily I only have sanitizer in there now and haven't moved my beer from the secondary.

It is odd, because when I unscrew the top of the ball lock (grey) connector, the gas will come out the top of it and go into the keg. So, it almost seems like the connector has something wrong with it.

Yes, it is ball lock. I have nothing on the "out" post.

What could I use to push down the center pin? I just don't want to break anything.
I don't have a wrench to take the posts off, I will get one tomorrow. Luckily I only have sanitizer in there now and haven't moved my beer from the secondary.

It is odd, because when I unscrew the top of the ball lock (grey) connector, the gas will come out the top of it and go into the keg. So, it almost seems like the connector has something wrong with it.

Ok, try using the top of a pen to gently push down on the middle of the "in" post. There's a poppit in there, and you should be able to move it gently.

Also, take a look at the grey connector, and make sure it has a "pin" sticking down in the middle.

Oh, I just had another thought!

Sometimes hot water and star-san can cause some pressure in the keg. If you've already got pressure in the keg, and it's more than the pressure on the regulator, no gas will go in.

Pull the pressure relief valve on the keg. If it "hisses", try again with the gas.

If you can move the poppit, I have a feeling you're right and it's the connector. Do you have an extra? You can take it apart, but do it over a white piece of paper because there is a very little black gasket that is impossible to find if you lose it. (Ask me how I know......:drunk:)

Okay. Like I said, dumb question.

I wasn't putting the ball lock on correctly. I was just pushing it down, and not pulling up on the plastic piece that covers the balls.

Damn. I feel like a moron, but have never messed with a corny before. Thanks for the brief help, anyway. I was panicing and finally just looked at the connector and figured it out. Wow. Very dumb.

Thanks.

A small phillips screwdriver, nail, anything to just see if you can depress the poppet. If you remove the top of the disconnect, it removes the tension from the spring that operates the plastic pin that depresses the poppet. I don't see how you could get gas into the keg if the pin on the disconnect is not depressing the poppet. Are you sure your not getting gas in the keg? Do you have a pressure relief valve on your keg? If so, activate it and see.

Okay. Like I said, dumb question.

I wasn't putting the ball lock on correctly. I was just pushing it down, and not pulling up on the plastic piece that covers the balls.

Damn. I feel like a moron, but have never messed with a corny before. Thanks for the brief help, anyway. I was panicing and finally just looked at the connector and figured it out. Wow. Very dumb.

Thanks.

Good! For both the "in" and "out", the best way to take them off and on is to pull up on the "ring" around it, and "snap" them on. It's a full hard "snap", and sometimes it's not easy to tell when they're on. When it doubt (so they don't leak and drain your tank overnight!), take them off and snap them back on.

Whew, that was touch and go there. Yoop, can you close up and suture? I have a tee time I can't miss.:D

Back