Why the sweet smell and odd flavors - Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominator6

Reaction score
So my first brew has a sweet smell to it and a little different taste. Kind of like an Ale taste(it's a Hefe btw). Just curious, bad batch, off flavor???? Thanks in advance!

it hasn't changed and has been in priming since 9 Dec. I was hoping it would lighten up and that sweet smell and odd flavor would go away but it hasn't. I used to drink the Hefe at room temperature stationed in Germany but I am going to try one cold tonight to see if it changes anything.

How long has it been in the Bottle? I would just wait another week and try it again. Whoops Type to slow, Try it Cold and see also If you could...Post your recipe

I'm not farmilar if the german hefe yeast does it, but the WPL300 will give off banana esters if fermented in the 70+ range, and will give off the clove esters if fermented in the -70 range.

What was your temp while fermenting? I had a heating pad on my carboy for the first 5 days of my fermentation just recently and got lots of banana esters, I might have to try the heating pad for the first 2-3 days and see if i get anything different.

Dominator6 said:
sweet smell and odd flavor would go away but it hasn't.

What kind of odd flavor are we talking here? Band Aide Plastic Flavor? Cardboard? If you could describe the flavor it may help. Also if the sweet you are talking about is Malty it's more likely that it won't go away with age. It may mellow but usually malt aromas and taste stick around and the hop flavors & aromas mellow out.

Cheers

Its been my experience that time in the bottle can settle odd flavors (at least those that I have created)- so perhaps in a month or two- it will be a different tasting beer. My first brown ale tasted odd indeed- (to others- I loved it) four months later- it was Amazing.
My first (and only) hef did not taste the way I thought it would either.....Still a great wheat beer though.

So here she is i n the glass, finally. I can't put my finger on the taste, cardboard, etc.. I like it and hopefully it will get better w/time. My next one will be a nut brown ale. MMMMM???
small1stbatch.jpg

A cardboard taste usually indicates that the beer was oxidized, either because it was splashed around too much before it had cooled to below 80 deg after the boil, or because it was exposed to air at some point after the fermentation process began. Did you siphon properly when you were transferring the beer from one container to another?

After having my wife try it and my neighbor...I think it just has a much lighter taste to it than anything. It is "bland" according to the wife and a good light drinking beer w/a semi sweet aftertaste according to my neighbor. I think I'll chalk this one up to a decent try for a hefe on my first batch....A beer that I'm willing to drink and a learning experience for my next batch.

Dycokac said:
that's pretty clear for a hefe :) Mine are alot cloudier than that but i don't do irish moss or anything.

That was my first thought also. That is one clear and red hefe. Hefe's are supposed to be very cloudy and should be yellow to gold in color. Do you bottle or keg? If you bottle, make sure you mix up your yeast before finishing the pour, if you keg, then it appears as though you used a fining agent or a high floc. yeast which could lead to the "bland" flavor.

StallionMang said:
A cardboard taste usually indicates that the beer was oxidized, either because it was splashed around too much before it had cooled to below 80 deg after the boil, or because it was exposed to air at some point after the fermentation process began. Did you siphon properly when you were transferring the beer from one container to another?

doesn't it take a great deal to oxidize the beer? also pre-ferment don't you want to get as much oxygen in the wort as possible?

I have never had oxidation issues, but I don't think it takes much oxidation to taste it, especially in a "lighter" beer. Splashing can cause aeration.

The other oxidation issue being referred to here is hot side aeration- which is debated frequently around here. Some say it's almost impossible for homebrewers to get, some say it's not. The idea, just in case, is to not splash or aerate your wort until it gets to below 80 degrees. That would prevent HSA. After it's cooled and before fermentation starts is a good time to aerate.

YooperBrew said:
Some say it's almost impossible for homebrewers to get, some say it's not. The idea, just in case, is to not splash or aerate your wort until it gets to below 80 degrees. That would prevent HSA. After it's cooled and before fermentation starts is a good time to aerate.

Interesting point- seeing as I aerate by pouring back and forth- and I chill by pouring wort that is/was 212 deg. into ice cold water- it sounds like my procedure could make HSA a possibility. I mean- pouring the recently boiled wort ( it might not be 212 anymore, but it sure ain't under 80!) through the strainer and funnel must aerate a good bit before it hits the cold water. I have never had oxidation or aeration issues though.

:off: I think I'm gonna be attempting Bobby_M's counterflow chiller as soon as I find copper for a fair price.

srm775 said:
That was my first thought also. That is one clear and red hefe. Hefe's are supposed to be very cloudy and should be yellow to gold in color. Do you bottle or keg? If you bottle, make sure you mix up your yeast before finishing the pour, if you keg, then it appears as though you used a fining agent or a high floc. yeast which could lead to the "bland" flavor.

I would agree with this comment. Make sure when you pour leave about .5-1 inch of beer in the bottle and swirl it around. Then pour it into the glass. The yeast makes a huge difference in the taste.

-Ron

I usually chill my wort to around 120* F and then add it to my water in the fermenter. We use a SS strainer that sits in the funnel and pour the wort over ice to get it down to temp faster. Seems to work pretty well thus far...

My hefe tastes stronger than the commercial German hefes as well. I think it is due to the fermentation temp. Mine fermented around 70 F but i think if I were to make another hefe, I would control the temp and go with a 66-68 F fermentation.

Regards,
Al

Back