Why so cloudy? Do I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmw2621

Reaction score
image-2013191676.jpg

All grain Belgian Strong Golden Ale. Spent a week in primary and it's been in secondary for 2 weeks, but it hasn't cleared up. Should I let it sit longer? I haven't tested the gravity because I don't want to break the seal. It didn't cool as fast as I wish because the water going through my chiller wasn't super cold, and the room my primary sat in was pretty warm, both which seem could contribute to the cloudiness.

Suggestions?

Well, without checking the gravity you don;t really know if it's done or if the yeast are still active so I would check it. Honestly, I don't know of anybody that doesn't take a gravity sample so if we can all do it without it causing issues you can, too. ;)

What temp are you fermenting at and what yeast did you use?
OG and current gravity?
Malt bill?

Knowing all of this will help somebody answer your questions.

Cheers.

I've had very clear beer come from a carboy that looked exactly like that. I think its the sheer mass of all that beer that is making it look so opague.

If your target is to get it crystal clear quickly then get yourself a fining agent. There are varies kinds at your locate homebrew place or get plain (unflavored) gelatin at the grocery store. To fin with gelatin simply dissolve 1tsp in a cup of warm water (don't boil it) rack onto this making sure it is mixed in well. Then wait 3-7 days and it will be very clear. It will take longer to bottle carbonate though, at least two weeks to carb up.

Latest posts

Back