Why Perlicks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaFunk

Reaction score
It seems like they're the faucet of choice around here. I'm new at this so I'm curious, what makes them better than the other options?

OmegaFunk said:
It seems like they're the faucet of choice around here. I'm new at this so I'm curious, what makes them better than the other options?

They don't get stuck when left for a long period of time. Perlick keep the air out of the faucet so they don't freeze up!

The traditional faucets alow air to get into faucet and dry up what beer is around the mechanism. When left for a few days, that will seal like glue and make it hard to open, causing to have to take apart and clean.
Perlick don't alow the air to get into the mechanism. Free move'n all the time.

Unlike bars, homebrewers usually don't pull pints all day long every day. And there's enough residual sugars in beer that if it dries it's like cement. That's a bad combination right there.

Rear sealing faucets have all kinds of hardware bits exposed to the air - after they've been bathed in beer. If that doesn't get rinsed out by another pour, it hardens, and the next time you pull the tap handle you're lucky if it doesn't break off.

Indeed, just this evening a new thread was started to that effect: a rear seal faucet used just-not-frequently-enough to keep from seizing up, and the owner was breaking tap handles.

Forward sealing faucets leave very little of the inner workings exposed to air between pours. Further, if you've ever looked at said workings on the newest Perlick models, they are profoundly simple with really just one moving part.

And the only working part of the faucet that is exposed to air is the outside edge of an O-ring and the closing ball connected to the faucet lever. Even if that interface were to glue up, there's very little surface area involved with one face being rubber, so it's easily popped loose.

Bottom line: these things really work, and the more faucets you have, the easier it is to justify them. I have six 525SS faucets and love 'em...

Cheers!

Just ordered 2 525ss to go with the 1 I've already got. Didn't want to mess around with chrome flaking down the road. These faucets should last longer than me. :)

Unlike bars, homebrewers usually don't pull pints all day long every day. And there's enough residual sugars in beer that if it dries it's like cement. That's a bad combination right there.

Rear sealing faucets have all kinds of hardware bits exposed to the air - after they've been bathed in beer. If that doesn't get rinsed out by another pour, it hardens, and the next time you pull the tap handle you're lucky if it doesn't break off.

Indeed, just this evening a new thread was started to that effect: a rear seal faucet used just-not-frequently-enough to keep from seizing up, and the owner was breaking tap handles.

Forward sealing faucets leave very little of the inner workings exposed to air between pours. Further, if you've ever looked at said workings on the newest Perlick models, they are profoundly simple with really just one moving part.

And the only working part of the faucet that is exposed to air is the outside edge of an O-ring and the closing ball connected to the faucet lever. Even if that interface were to glue up, there's very little surface area involved with one face being rubber, so it's easily popped loose.

Bottom line: these things really work, and the more faucets you have, the easier it is to justify them. I have six 525SS faucets and love 'em...

Cheers!

I think this is actually exactly what I wanted to know!

If like many of us you are stuck, (literally) with rear-sealing taps, after the last draw is pulled, you can alleviate much of the sticking issues with a quick shot of warm water from a squeeze bottle .

How often do you take your perlicks apart and clean em?? I've only been through 4 kegs and haven't seen the need yet (I run potassium metabisulphite through the lines between kegs), but I guess I should do it at some point.

Because they look way better than standard faucets and I like shiny stainless steel. Plus everything about sealing and sticking mentioned above.

Back