Why not? (mini kegs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boydak

Reaction score
I have never kegged before.

With that said....... Ther is a local Brew Pub (Gritty McDuff's) That sells small one gallon kegs of beer. They have a rubber stopper in the top and the spigot near the bottom is plastic. Could those be cleaned and reused?

Do they condition the beer in them or just fill it up from the tap when you buy one? From your description is sounds like a large growler-like item the pub sells, which needs to be drank fairly quickly after purchasing.

If it's letting out beer without displacing it with CO2, it's going to go stale rather quickly. That wouldn't be a problem for a heavy drinker (such as the llama) but for someone who like a pint or two per week, it's not going to cut it.

You could probably rig up a CO2 bulb, but it would cost about the same to just buy a new mini keg. Long story short, if you're planning on drinking a gallon at a time, it would work. If not, it will make your beer stale.

If it's letting out beer without displacing it with CO2, it's going to go stale rather quickly.

That is occasionally an advantage; these little 5L kegs are a _great_ way to do cask-conditioned real ale at home. That's about 10 pints per mini-keg.

You have, what, maybe 5 days to drink them as real ale to see the daily flavor progressions from oxidation (maybe 4 would be ideal) before they start to go "bad"?

If you get the ones with the little tap built in, that's gravity fed real ale in a manageable size for 1-2 people.

HELL YES!!! I've been using mine for years.

If you get the ones with the built in gravity tap then you won't need to buy a CO2 cartridge tapper. ;)

Prime with corn sugar at 1 tablespoon, that's TBS, not tps (teaspoon).

Thanks. I beleve they are gravity feed taps and drinking that much brew in a weekend should be no problem!

Back