Why low alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inza

Reaction score
Hey guys, currently have an East India Pale Ale brewing in my fermentor. It stopped bubbling two days ago so I took a Specific Gravity reading giving me only 2.6% Alcohol. (SG 1.033/FG 1.013).
Is there any reason for such low alcohol content? Or will the SG keep dropping?

I followed the instructions on the can (Black Rock) and said it should reach SG of 1.005.

Any help would be great, only second brew so still a little green.

Your SG will probably keep on dropping. When the SG stays steady for 3 or so days, your beer will be ready. No bubbles does not mean fermentation is complete.

Its going to be low because your OG is 1.033 to start,but the lower it will drop will give you more,its still going to be a pretty low abv beer anyway.

I'm curious as to why your starting gravity was so low. Was this all grain, partial, or extract batch?

All i had was the brew can and brew enhancer my local brew shop sold me.
Could water quality effect this?
My first brew in made had an OG 1.044
So yes, this did seem a little odd to me

Ok I am shooting in the dark here but are you doing partial boils and topping off in the fermenter, then attempting to mix the solution? If so this is why you are getting a low SG reading. It's very difficult to mix the solution to the point where you could draw an accurate sample from the top. 1.033 is low for a Mild.

Ok I am shooting in the dark here but are you doing partial boils and topping off in the fermenter, then attempting to mix the solution? If so this is why you are getting a low SG reading. It's very difficult to mix the solution to the point where you could draw an accurate sample from the top. 1.033 is low for a Mild.

Not 100% sure what you mean by doing partial boils and topping off in the fermenter. However, this is the process I followed.
1. Mixed my beer can with boiling water in fermenter until dissolved
2. added my brew enhancer (1kg dextrose with malt I think)
3. Mixed thoroughly until everything mixed than added remain water (mixed again)
4. Took my SG of 1.033

As a beginner I have tried no other method than what the instructions say on the can

Inza said:
Not 100% sure what you mean by doing partial boils and topping off in the fermenter.

3. Mixed thoroughly until everything mixed than added remain water (mixed again)

This is what I'm talking about. Unless you are using a paint mixer to mix it there is no way you got an accurate reading. In other words, the richer wort was sunk on the bottom.

Inza said:
Not 100% sure what you mean by doing partial boils and topping off in the fermenter. However, this is the process I followed.
1. Mixed my beer can with boiling water in fermenter until dissolved
2. added my brew enhancer (1kg dextrose with malt I think)
4. Took my SG of 1.033

As a beginner I have tried no other method than what the instructions say on the can

What was the Target OG?

If it was a mr.beer kit,you hit your og probably.The main kits are low abv-not to mention overpriced for what you get.If you know the volume of malt extract to amount of water volume,we could tell you if that is the near correct OG. Did it have an abv listed?

i'm thinking the same thing. it wasn't mixed very well at all. 1.033 is low for almost all beers, especially an ipa. your original reading was probably off

Bottlebomber is dead on again. OP, if you ended up with five gallons in the end your OG is good. Adding water is fine but can give you inaccurate specific gravity readings. It's hard to get the wort mixed up well enough to get an accurate reading. Sometimes they are extremely high and sometimes extremely low. Just depends the area the sample came from.

Check your volume make sure it is where it is suppose to be, if it's low you can add water, if it's high their is not much you can do at this point.

Inza said:
Can I add links to the products i added or is that not permitted on this forum?

It's permitted. Or just give me the amount of dry malt extract and the volume and I'll tell you what your OG was, +/- a few points.

My mix doesnt give me an expected OG, or dont know the amount of dry malt extract as my enhancer packed is now discarded. Everyone has assured me my brew is not dead so I can live without knowing the exact Alcohol volume. Thanks

Back