Why Isn't Anybody Making/Selling New Crates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowleyMonster

Reaction score
It sure would be nice to be able to buy new plastic bottle crates for a reasonable price. I have a bunch of old 24 bottle Coke cases and they hold 12oz bottles just fine. Unfortunately most of my bottles are 16oz flip top and only about a case of 12oz and some 22oz. I have two 12 bottle Falstaff crates that I paid way too much for, and I really don't want to pay $35 or more each shipped, for enough crates to store a reasonable amount of beer. I didn't see any crates at NB or MB. I could make wooden ones, but my time is worth something. I like the form factor of the 12 bottle Falstaff crates, which do hold the 16 oz bottles nicely. People think they are made out of gold or something. A lot of them don't have the dividers, either. The original cardboard boxes that the bottles ship in are fine, until they have been moved around a few times, or have gotten wet. Also salvaged bottles don't always come in cases, depending on source.

So I am just wondering what homebrewers are doing for cases, those who bottle. I generally keg, but I am looking at probably bottling the current batch due to lack of empty kegs. Mine are all full which is a good thing I guess but I don't want to buy more kegs. It makes Mrs. Monster see red when I mention that I am all out of kegs and need a couple more. Plus sometimes it is handy to have nice portable bottles on hand. In nice, portable, protective crates.

I'd just be happy to find some cardboard beer case boxes with dividers. They have them at Uline, but at $10.30 a box, I can buy a box with 24 new bottles for a few bucks more from the LHBS.

Alibaba has them for $0.89 ea., but min order of 500. I would think this could be a money maker for a brew store--they could turn around and sell them for $3 or $4 a pop.

I'd just be happy to find some cardboard beer case boxes with dividers. They have them at Uline, but at $10.30 a box, I can buy a box with 24 new bottles for a few bucks more from the LHBS.

Alibaba has them for $0.89 ea., but min order of 500. I would think this could be a money maker for a brew store--they could turn around and sell them for $3 or $4 a pop.
Storing 500 would probably blow their profit for many small LHBS.

Back