Why is my beer fizzing so much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Han_Solo

Reaction score
So my last batch of brown ale turned out great. I bottled it for just under two weeks before drinking. A few weeks after my first taste the bottles progressively began to fizz more and more, and it came to the point where I would open the bottle only to have it fizz over the top for several minutes. It wasn't a violent, explosive overflow, but rather slow and steady. Did my error take place during the bottling process? An I correct to assume that this isn't normal?

Thanks and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

hillybilly said:
? going to need more info on your bottling to figure it out could be an infection is it overcarbed

I just siphoned it from the carboy and used a capper. I think it's safe to say everything was sanitized.

Any idea what type of infection would cause this?

I had I similar experience once with commercial micro brews and it was because I had stored them in the fridge on there side. When they were stored upright I had no problems. I don't know the science behind it..... Maybe the beer gods were messing with me that day

You probably bottled it early. No biggie just pour it and let it hang out to release some co2 before drinking.

I just siphoned it from the carboy and used a capper. I think it's safe to say everything was sanitized.

Any idea what type of infection would cause this?

Did you put sugar in the bottle, or the carboy? If you just bottled beer straight out of the fermentation carboy, and it carbbed up, then you bottled beer that wasn't ready to be bottled. You will be lucky if you don't have bottle bombs.

JeepDiver said:
Did you put sugar in the bottle, or the carboy? If you just bottled beer straight out of the fermentation carboy, and it carbbed up, then you bottled beer that wasn't ready to be bottled. You will be lucky if you don't have bottle bombs.

I think the sugar was put into the carboy. I really don't remember (this was probably over a year ago). It was my first batch and I haven't really been able to find anyone who knew why this happened. I just found out about this app yesterday so I figured I'd ask the question in a place where there's people who are familiar with this.

Thanks to everyone for the replies

:off:
Does your beer look like this?
tumblr_lot3kfwoiM1qz5pm7o1_500.jpg

TyTanium said:
:off:
Does your beer look like this?

Ha lol. Not yet, I haven't been bothering with any type of labeling. That's since find where did you come across it?

May the force be with you.

I think it could be any or a combination of 3 factors here: 1 is the age of the beer (plus the condition it was stored in). I've had older beers turn into gushers like this over time (both commercial bottle conditioned as well as home brew). 2nd option is that the beer was simply over carbonated. Whoever bottled it miscalculated and used too much sugar. Lastly, you could have an infection.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what happened, because there is no fix for it. But what you can do is eliminate risks in the future: use better sanitation methods; don't just eye-ball your priming sugar addition; lastly if you're going to store a bottled home brew for a while, store it cold.

Back