Why I hate Paypal, EBay and UPS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I sold some stuff on Ebay 2 weeks ago. MAC Laptop, Dual Layer DVD Burner Etc. I sent out the MAC Laptop via UPS. I went to the Fed Ex Kinkos because they were the only local store around who carried the Laptop boxes which are way better than trying to wrap the damn laptop in Bubble wrap, but back on Topic.

I package up the laptop and all the accessories, log into my paypal account to pay for the UPS shipping label. Then took the Laptop box to my office (didn't want to abuse the Shipping department, they already hate me for the Kegs (which most went out today, rest will ship tomorrow)). The UPS guy came and picked up the box. I didnt bother checking the shipment cuz USUALLY the box shows up at the location and all is well. NOT THIS TIME!

Backtrack about a week, I got a Paypal Debit card so I could get funds from my account when ever I needed to.

This past Saturday was our (Mine and SWMBO's) High School Reunion. Went to get money out of the ATM and it was denied. Balance said that there was $ in the account. Logged on when I got home to find out that the guy who bought the laptop STILL HASNT GOTTEN THE ****ING LAPTOP!!!!!!!!!

2 weeks are you kidding me? So, Paypal just locks down all my fundage without checking the status of the Tracking #? No one calls, no email, NOTHING! I am a day late on my Blockbuster Video and those ****ers are right johnny on the spot to call and ask where the ****ing video is. I am surprised that Blockbuster doesnt have Hired guns to come to the house and get the damn video.

So, I do some searching and find out that there was a "PROBLEM" with the box. Which means some ****er broke the box open and destroyed the laptop or stole it. But because the guy who bought the laptop didnt pay for insurance he wants his money back from me, cuz he never got the product.

I THINK NOT!

That sucks, Jeff. I am in a similar situation with USPS, but on the buyer's end (they supposedly delivered it, but it's no where to be found). But at least I recognize that it's not the seller's fault. I didn't buy insurance either, but then again, I wasn't ordering a laptop.

Hope it gets figured out.

I hear your frustration.
But you did not get the product the customer.
That is the issue with Ebay IMHO --- If Austin Homebrew or Northern Brewer shipped UPS/FEDX and UPS/FED messed up they would make you the customer whole and then deal with the shipping company.

While it is frustrating I think you are the responsible party.
Just think about it.

Isn't it the sellers responabilty to get the product to the buyer ?
How can you expect him to pay for something he didn't get ?

When the buyer pays for shipping he has the opportunity to pay for insurance. That would be somewhat of a pointless option if the seller is going to be responsible for what happens during shipping. If the seller packs it properly and ships it in a reasonable amount of time, he has fulfilled his obligation, IMO. If he had insured the package, he wouldn't be having this problem. When it's a few bottles for a homebrew competition, you don't insure it. When it's a freakin laptop, you do.

I know exactly how you feel. I sold an entire Metallica CD collection to a guy in Europe. He declined insurance and claimed he never got the merch. Paypal locked my account until I refunded the guy. I even forwarded the email where the guy said no to insurance. Paypal said no matter what, the seller must prove that the buyer received the merchandise. The bottom line is that you MUST build in insurance and signature required fees into the shipping charge of expensive options. Don't give the buyer the option.

The deal with insurance btw with Fed or UPS is this:

Just because you buy insurance does not mean they will pay the claim. You have to have documentation as to what the item is worth/costs. It is their judgment if you packed the item correctly. And only the shipper can file the claim. Therefore in the case you still had skin in the game as the shipper.

I am just throwing this out there as info because I have personal experience in this area.

In other words just because you buy 1k insurance is no guarentee that UPS/FED will pay the person for the 1k. And if they do pay the claim they are going to cut you a check for the insurance not the receiver.

I have seen this happen: Person buys an laptop. The shipper buys insurance and receives the $ from the buyer. The laptop has a cracked screen from the beginning.
Buyer freaks ... loses his $ and the shipper files a claim and potentially gets the claim $ and walks away.

I am merely trying to be helpful with some insight into how that process works.

Yes the option for insurance is on EBAY but you when you purchase that label from UPS and buy insurance the contact of the insurance is between you (shipper) and UPS not the buyer.

T$

When the buyer pays for shipping he has the opportunity to pay for insurance. That would be somewhat of a pointless option if the seller is going to be responsible for what happens during shipping. If the seller packs it properly and ships it in a reasonable amount of time, he has fulfilled his obligation, IMO. If he had insured the package, he wouldn't be having this problem. When it's a few bottles for a homebrew competition, you don't insure it. When it's a freakin laptop, you do.

As an online merchant, I regret to be the bearer of bad news. Until the receiver acknowledges delivery, it is the sellers problem. For that reason, do not make insurance an option if you are not prepared to eat a loss.

As much as I dislike it being that way, it actually does make sense. You sold a product and then you hired a company to deliver it to the customer. If that fails to happen, you have failed to deliver as promised. You could have alleviated any potential problems by hand delivering it or requiring pick up in person. Or you could have made them arrange for shipment or (at a minimum) required a signature at delivery. Of course, all of these would have reduced your opportunity for sale. Hence, you took a risk to increase your price and/or chances.

Also, when you accept a "plastic" payment you (via your service agreement) put all the power in the hands of the buyer. Had you required a check or cash, this would not now be an issue. Again, that would have reduced your opportunity for sale. And as before, you took a risk to increase your price and/or chances.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bust your chops. I agree that it sucks for shippers. But having been a commercial shipper for 10 years now, I've come to see both sides.

The bottom line is that you MUST build in insurance and signature required fees into the shipping charge of expensive options. Don't give the buyer the option.

Yep. And pack it in such a manner that no sane person could put forth that any shipping damage was anything but the results of carrier negligence. Shipping at a walk in UPS owned location helps your claim as they had an opportunity to inspect prior to acceptance. Also, If you're a regular shipper, you must figure your loss percentage and factor that in.

Last thought: Every wondered why shipping charges have gotten so high? Now you know...

don't forget to factor in a certain amount of unpaid claims if

Haha, so what you're saying is, my option of "that would be somewhat of a pointless option" is the case.

Well that's just a crappy situation.

if you order from buy.com, as soon as the product leaves their warehouse, it's your property. try filing a claim.

and ALWAYS get the insurance. It's a couple of bucks, and the one time you file a claim and CYA, it makes all the other times worth it.

I'm sorry you got fuct this time, but you're going to have to eat it. If they didn't sign for the package, you're SOL.

I don't ever ship anything in a box made for it. How many 'laptop boxes' do you think UPS sees? They KNOW what's in the box. Put it in another box and you're covering your ass one more step.

If you have the SN/MAC you could contact apple. They might be able to help if they see it online somewhere (updates?)

B

if you order from buy.com, as soon as the product leaves their warehouse, it's your property. try filing a claim.

No problem. Call your CC company.

and ALWAYS get the insurance. It's a couple of bucks, and the one time you file a claim and CYA, it makes all the other times worth it.

Here's the problem. As a consignee, you cannot file a claim. Insurance is to protect the shipper.

Latest posts

Back