Why does my friend want to perfect an extract recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When he is also talking about going AG? I've done a couple of AG recipes, and although I still have much to learn, I figure he is going to have it easy, being able to as questions and whatnot.

He had been trying to brew a two-hearted clone a few years ago, and one time made something that was admittedly possibly even better. His notes were a bit messed up, but he thinks he figured out which batch it was and wants to do it again.

Here is the problem: He thinks he has a hard time finding the pre-hopped extract that is part of the recipe. Also, WHO KNOWS WHAT HIS PROCESS WAS LIKE FOR THAT BATCH!! I have strong doubts that he will have the same ferment temps, etc.

Anyway, I am nearly done with his grain crusher, and I believe he is planning on going AG soon. So I just don't understand why he wants to continue figuring out this recipe, when it would be just as easy to tweak an AG recipe. I know there are several recipes that are similar to 2-hearted that he would tweak.

Lotta stubborn people in HBing. ;)

It's bottled, send it out when I can. :D

Awesome! Thanks!

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more I believe he's just unsure about AG at this point, never having done it, and it's probably just one of those things that bugs him that he needs to figure out.

I guess I feel that after doing AG, it's so flexible and he could focus more of his time getting that recipe down, instead of having to rely on expensive, and possibly hard to find cans of extract.

Not that his wasn't good! It was very tasty. I just think he'll be happier brewing AG in the long run.

Who cares as long as he's brewing. I have buddies I can't get to brew anything anymore. Be thankful he's in to the hobby full swing.

I decided to start brewing AG. I'm happy with the decision but there are a lot of extract related questions on here I simply cannot answer having never done it. I think having a solid extract BG isn't really a bad idea before moving to AG.. If anything he'll be more understanding of what he's doing in the AG brews.

I wish I had ONE super yummy extract recipe. That way I could use it to turn new brewers onto the hobby.

Most people don't start with AG. As a matter of fact...most people think it's crazy to spend 7 hours playing with Keggles in the driveway...to come up with the product ready to pitch yeast into. But it sure is a great source of relaxation for me.

The perfect extract recipe would be one that...doesn't take a lot of time or lots of extra steps in the brew process... can be fermented in a plastic pail at room temperature... and comes out tasting better than anything you could buy in the store. That would be an instant turn-on for the new brewer.

I wish more ag brewers with experience would go back and brew an extract batch with all the knowledge that they accumulated since they last brewed with extract. Then they would realize the reason their initial beers sucked was NOT because they were using extract, but because back then they sucked as brewers.

If they applied their refined brewing process to an old recipe of theirs, using all the things they have learned (about patience, using a hydromter, temp control, full volume boils, late extract addition, recipe creation, yadda yadda yadda) then I think they would be surprise how good that beer would taste.

Heck, you would be surprised at the number of microbreweries and brewpubs, that brew with extract.

Edducculus (sp) is doing something similar with his Good eats thread..he brewed one batch exactly how whats his face did it...then did the EXACT extract recipe using HIS OWN PROCESS......How he would treat any beer.

I don't see anything wrong with your buddy wanting to perfect an extract batch, or an extract recipe. If there is a beer he likes and plans to repeat he might as well get it right and repeatable.

Heck I have 3 recipes in my aresenal that no amount of tinkering and conversion from extract w/ grains to all grain has gotten me close to the taste of the original. So when I brew them, I brew them with extract.

And I put as much skill, care, and process into those batches as I do with any of my batches.

And yeah...having an excellent, REPEATABLE extract recipe that can be done in under 6 hours....even half that? Hell yeah, even if it is twice the cost of an ag batch....

Why are there so many stuck up, elitist AG brewers that insist their way is the only way?

Do you grow your own grains and hops? How about yeast culturing and "breeding"? What's that, you don't? :rolleyes:

Why are there so many stuck up, elitist AG brewers that insist their way is the only way?

Do you grow your own grains and hops? How about yeast culturing and "breeding"? What's that, you don't? :rolleyes:

I said something like that in a blog I wrote about this very topic a year ago.

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Why_cant_we_all_get_along/

:mug:

If we use that as a criteria then there's only one real brewer on all of hbt...I think it's coloradobrewer or something like that...He grows his own hops and barely and malts his own grain in huge amounts..I dunno if he yeast rancehs yet...but dayum.

:D

I think there are two questions that can never be answered.

First, does AG inherently produce better beer? I think a lot of people would say that it does. It seems like there are a lot of threads of people moving from extract to AG because the extract beer wasn't any good. But I don't see the threads saying that their AG beer is just as bad as their extract beer (although I am not saying they don't exist). But this brings me to the next question.

For people who think that AG makes better beer than extract, is it real or imagined? One thing I have noticed about hobbies like this is that perception is VERY subjective. And there is no way to prove it, but I am convinced that most people perceive things how they want to. Instead of basing their perception on what actually happens. In other words if I brew a bad extract batch, decide to go "upgrade" to AG to make better beer, spend a gazillion dollars on AG equipment, do you think I am going to think that next AG batch is worse than the extract? More often then not, regardless of how good it really was, I think most people will think that the "better" brewing method will make better beer.

I am not saying I agree with this, just merely pointing out that because of the psychological aspect of perception, I don't think there will ever be a conclusion of whether or not AG inherently makes better beer. At least not for me. I will always view peoples conclusions with a heavy dose of skepticism and disbelief.

It seems like there are a lot of threads of people moving from extract to AG because the extract beer wasn't any good. But I don't see the threads saying that their AG beer is just as bad as their extract beer (although I am not saying they don't exist).

Actually there are threads on here about people going back to extract for a bit, because they weren't getting the results the were hoping for, and wanted to step back from the complexity and look at their process. And regularly we get ag brewers who haven't master basic brewing principles and have difficulties, the ones like I said in my blog are not about ag related issues like water chemistry, etc, but basic brewing issues, where they have to be told to use their hydrometer for example.

I know, I am usually the one answering the questions...All my blogs are based on nearly daily repeated issues/questions that I have come across in the year plus I have been here....

Oh and I do agree about the subjective/psychological issues inherent in what you wrote about perceptions.

But I know from experience, both as a brewer with considerable experience, and as a beer snob...with even longer experience both tasting commercial beers and being attached to the homebrewing community before I even began to brew myself, Ihave tasted great ans crappy beers from all methods of brewing...Kit extract (including mr beer), kit and kilo, extract, extract with grains, Partial mash and AG...each of those has the POTENTIAL to make fantastic beers.....and crappy beers....So saying one methodolgy in inherently superior than another is total bull in my experience....

I honestly don't have enough experience with both methods to be able to agree or disagree - nor was I trying to. Although my thinking was, while AG is more complicated, it may be a more forgiving process, so more people seem to think that its a better method.

But you make a key point - real world experience. I often wonder how many people on here talk like they've mastered 5 million gallons of craft brew, and in reality they have brewed maybe twice.

One thing I have been thinking of is taking a break from this forum. I think that will actually help my brewing. When you are on here reading every post, I think you get caught up in too much information, the half of which seems to be either inaccurate or flat out wrong. Sometimes a source of help can act more like a inhibitory crutch.

I know I don't need any more information, just more experience.

Having said that I know it will never happen. What else would I do with my afternoons?

Although my thinking was, while AG is more complicated, it may be a more forgiving process, so more people seem to think that its a better method.

Just the opposite, there are too many variable in involved in brewing al grain. Mash PH, water chemistry, how you sparge, mash thickness...yadd yadda yadda....each of those and other variable are going to determine how the wort turns out. SO the more variable the more path to screwing up...

Like I said in the blog I posted above....All Grain Brewing is not the instant holy mecca, that many people assume it is...your beer will not automatically be better just becasue you put a braid in a cooler....

Extract kits on the other hand are almost fool proof...the water chemistry comes with the extract...making your own recipes (for either ag but more to the point extract) is a little more difficult...but can be picked up with a little experience...it's just like cooking...look at enough recipes, and play with the software and you will understand the variable that go into it...

ANd then the rest is up to you...you can be impatient, not use temp control or your hydrometer, cut corners on your sanitization and whether or not it is all grain or extract is irrevelant...how you approach the beer is....that will determing whether or not the beer will turn out.

As to wanting to leave...and thinking there is misinformation...there is very little misinformation here...I mean I'm not posting mis-information, and neither are my friends. and believe me if any of us feel that there is bad info being posted on here...we jump in and call people on it...The really bad advice is corrected almost immediatly.

What you do have here is mostly just differences of opinion becasue there is really many ways to skin a cat. Ask 10 brewers a question and you wil get 12 different answers...and at least half it not more will be conjecture with little basis in fact...but the rest of the group will police that...And often that difference of opinion is really just a clash between old ways of thinking and believing, and new ideas...Or the tearing down of brewing myths...like HSA, autolysis, etc...that were a hold over from the bad old days of brewing before 1978 and have carried through.

Places like this is where you find the most state of the art information/wisdom about brewing, because of the sheer number of us trying new things, hearing new things, and even breaking new ground and contributing to the body of info on the hobby...Look at some of that inventions that came out of here, and then ended up later in BYO articles by our members...

One thing to remember is that Papazian, as wonderful as it is, was written 30 years ago...and a lot of "science" or "common wisdom" that he as an author tapped into has evolved....all authors face this issue with their work.

Charlie Papazian said it But he might not necessarily say it now....see the difference?

His basic info is timeless....how to brew beer, figure out recipes, etc...but some of the info is just a reflection of the "opinions," or prevailing wisdom of the times, and may not even reflect his current beliefs...There's a podcast with Papazian from a year or so ago, where he talks about just having started using rice hulls in his mash ton...so if he doesn't update the book again, or write a new one, unless you've heard the podcast or read it on here, you won't KNOW about it...It's the same with Palmer even he has learned stuff since he wrote how to brew...

ohn Palmer basically admits that what he wrote about IBU's in How to brew, was essentially "wrong" or at least outdated in light of new science...

But even Palmer's book is a few years old.....

March 20, 2008 - What Is an IBU . . . Really?
John Palmer, author of How to Brew, shares information from a conference that challenged his concept of what defines an International Bitterness Unit (IBU).

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-20-08ibu.mp3

I cite that podcast as an example of how the knowlegebase shifts so fast in this hobby because of places like this or podcasts...A book is a snapshot of the author's body of knowlege and the "common wisdom" at the time the author wrote the book, which may mean 3 years before it was even published. Papazian's book is 30+ years old. The basic knowlege is good, but brewing science and experience has progressed to where some things an author believes or says at that time may no-longer be valid...even to the author.

Most of the time when someone "revises" a book they don't necessarilly "re-write" the entire thing...and unless they annotated the changes, often all a "revised" edition has to make it up to date is a new introduction, and maybe the addition or removal of some things. But Rarely is a revision in a book a serious comb through of the entire book.

If an author plans to devote months to an extensive revision, they more than likely would just write a new book anyway.

And it's usually done for money or simply to get it back into the marketplace after a long lag..Sometimes a revised edition is simply a new cover or a different shaped book (like a trade paperback.) With a new intro and conclusion tagged on...

So there's really no way to know too much how updated the book was..I mean my copy is the 2002 edition iirc, and the photos are still pretty much have the look of bygone times.

It is podcasts and forums like this where you will find a lot more state of the art, or current views, and even scientific information...I mean if Jamil, John Palmer or Papazian even farts on a podcast, one of us beergeeks are going to start a thread on it within 10 minutes.

So I wouldn't leave...I you wanna make great beer...and hang out with a great bunch of folks, this is the place to do it.

:mug:

Back