why does imperial stout cost so much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonteiro

Reaction score
most websites i've looked at sell 5 gallon ingredient kits anywhere from $25- $35. i just bought an oatmeal stout kit for 30. But almost every imperial stout kit is $45-50. is this beer better quality, why is it more expensive then other varieties?

mmonteiro said:
is it that much different then an oatmeal stout?

Yes. Lots more grain/extract in an Imperial Stout then your average Oatmeal Stout. Especially since normally Oatmeal Stouts are pretty low ABV.

mmonteiro said:

Yup. More hops too. maybe even more yeast. More ingredients = more $. I bet barley wine kits are just as expensive as RIS.

VERY much. go look at the recipe list for an imperial and compare it to an oatmeal. Imperial is another word for BEAST OF A BEER!!, many imperials are in the 10-12% abv range vs. the standard 5-5.5 of a regular stout

The grain and hop bill on an imp stout or barley wine is HUGE, often more than twice as much as a beer of half the gravity due to the fact that efficiencies tend to drop after a certain level. It pretty much stands to reason that a kit would be about twice the price, since it will have twice as much (or more) ingredients for a 5 gallon batch

I just brewed a partial mash imperial stout for $17 including the yeast. The price will raise $10 if I decide to do cocoa nibs in the secondary, and possibly another $5 if I throw some vanilla beans in. That still only comes to $33. Find a recipe and put it all together at your LHBS if you have one around. Way cheaper than kits.

Agree with JDFlow. Even if you don't partial mash but do extract and steep grains, you'll save money, know more about how you are making your beer, and start making your own little modifications. Find a recipe on HBT, write it down, take it to the LHBS and they'll help you measure out the grain etc. Plus it's an excuse to chat, instead of just grabbing a kit and running out again.

If you look at what Imperial stouts or browns are selling for, the price of an all grain recipe or a kit is a real BARGAIN...

bosco

JDFlow,

If you dont mind me asking, what is your recipe for that? Is it a 3 gallon batch or are you buying extract in bulk? Just to get the the OG high enough you are looking at around 10 lbs of extract for a 5 gal batch. Are you mashing a bunch of grains for your points?

Back