Why do people Quit brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting how the thread wavers; “why do people quit brewing“ or “why do I brew”… I brew because I like the beer I brew; the process is fascinating; designing, building/repurposing equipment is challenging; there’s a never ending list of learning topics and the people that engage in this hobby are good folks.

I look forward to every single brew day. I love getting up early on a Saturday or Sunday and heading to the garage to get started. I love the process, I love the smell, hell, I even love the clean-up. There's nothing as satisfying to me as hearing the bubbling of an active fermentation (I guess next to drinking the end result!). If one thing is going to make me quit eventually, it will be not being physically able. Even now in my mid-50's lugging the kettle, or conical or buckets full of sanitizer or water, etc down to the basement for cleaning is a decent workout. I think it could be downright dangerous in 25 years. If I stay where I am for that long, I could see simple aging as what kills it for me.

Brewing Techniques Magazine
The web site associated with the magazine is still in the "Internet Archives" (link). There are a number of articles from the magazine that were posted at the web site. Home Brew Finds (May 2012, link) has some background about the magazine and the MoreBeer.com articles from Brewing Techniques.

I look forward to every single brew day. I love getting up early on a Saturday or Sunday and heading to the garage to get started. I love the process, I love the smell, hell, I even love the clean-up.
amen.

I imagine most of you will have moved on when I post my last post here. I'm getting to be a relic it seems. Anyway, it won't be anytime soon god willing.

The web site associated with the magazine is still in the "Internet Archives" (link). There are a number of articles from the magazine that were posted at the web site. Home Brew Finds (May 2012, link) has some background about the magazine and the MoreBeer.com articles from Brewing Techniques.
I managed to collect a bunch of those. I probably have 2 or 3 years worth. I really liked Brewing Techniques, especially their “Brewing in Styles” series of articles. I know many today say they don’t brew to style.

I have most of the Zymurgys going back to about 1990 and a few of the ones that are even before that. A couple of the early ones from 1986 and 1987, at least one of those has a plain paper cover.

I have just about all the BYO magazines that were ever printed.

I think morebeer was hosting some of their articles too

I’ll be brewing as long as people that enjoy my beer keep asking for it.
People ask for your beer? Heck, no one asks for mine even though I know they like it. I often feel like I'm imposing by bringing it places and trying to get people to drink it, so lately I've stopped offering it. I've talked at length with a close friend who is also a homebrewer about this and his experience has been the same. We both brew beer that is as good as or better than anything locally available.

People ask for your beer? Heck, no one asks for mine even though I know they like it. I often feel like I'm imposing by bringing it places and trying to get people to drink it, so lately I've stopped offering it. I've talked at length with a close friend who is also a homebrewer about this and his experience has been the same. We both brew beer that is as good as or better than anything locally available.
Can totally relate to that. Exactly my experience.

Can totally relate to that. Exactly my experience.
Good to know we're not the only ones. With how much people talk about how "everyone's always asking for my beer!!" etc. etc. I'm bringing some to a party this afternoon, so we'll see if anyone even asks. The friend whose house I'm going to will probably want some. I know anyone would drink it if I offer, but no one asks. I think part of it, too, is that people don't just want to assume that you can just give your beer away willy nilly, like it's worth nothing. Which I get.

Good to know we're not the only ones. With how much people talk about how "everyone's always asking for my beer!!" etc. etc. I'm bringing some to a party this afternoon, so we'll see if anyone even asks. The friend whose house I'm going to will probably want some. I know anyone would drink it if I offer, but no one asks. I think part of it, too, is that people don't just want to assume that you can just give your beer away willy nilly, like it's worth nothing. Which I get.
I also think, for me at least, most people I know just aren't as into beer as I am. They drink it, but they're happy to have a few macros at a BBQ or party or whatever. I guess with some folks they just drink beer because it's easy, cheap, and they get buzzed. lol

I also think, for me at least, most people I know just aren't as into beer as I am. They drink it, but they're happy to have a few macros at a BBQ or party or whatever. I guess with some folks they just drink beer because it's easy, cheap, and they get buzzed. lol
I like getting a buzz, not going to lie. But if that were my only goal, I'd bypass the beer and drink something like vodka. Like many things in life, it's about the journey, not the destination.

Same story here. I brew good beer and people like it. But they don't ask (maybe not wanting to impose?). However, they won't turn it down when I offer, and they don't turn down a few bottles for the road.

I've read a lot of stories here of people being asked to brew a batch for an event, like a wedding. I've never been asked, though not sure I'd want to do that, anyway. The hobby stops being fun when you are making stuff specifically to someone's standards and timeline.

I do woodworking, too, and I DO get asked. "I'll pay you to build me a cabinet," etc. My answer is no, for the same reason.

Last edited:
I have the same weird experience with people asking. When I see people at local functions I often get asked about how brewing is going and they can’t wait to try it. Then like a few weeks ago we had some people over and they all brought their own beer. They tried a bit but it seems like they don’t want to use it up or something. I have a four tap keezer in my basement people drink up. I could brew more if you did.

I usually bring a growler with me when I attend a beer suitable social event, and I offer my beer when a drinker is at my house. Sometimes these things happen often, sometimes no one drinks my beer but me for a month. Ebbs and flows

I'm late to the party for this discussion but I haven't brewed since last April. I had an entire years worth of brews planned in advance but then I suffered torn tendons in both shoulders which stopped me cold. Next my second grandchild was born in August. I was cast in a musical production of Into The Woods which ran in early October and immediately after that I came down with atypical pneumonia which morphed into a sinus infection that I am still battling today. Except for the grandbaby and a featured role in a Sondheim musical it's been a year.

I never quit. I just had to stop for a while as I didn't have the time. I still have all my gear and recipes. But the time to do it just wasn't there with work, three grandchildren, running with a youth mentoring group for delinquent and at risk teens and a few other things.

I started a new job about 6 months ago where there are three other home brewers and I have every other Friday off, so I hoped to make those brew days and I was finally going to build an electric rig. But now my wife is seriously ill so here is another setback. We do have a brewery now in town though that one of the chemists where I work is the head brewer.

Another hobby of mine is vintage bicycles, I can ride this bike along a riverside path to the brewery and the bag holds a 64 ounce growler perfectly.
2C832F17-3E74-424F-977C-F6BF236211EE_1_201_a.jpeg

I'm on a bit of a hiatus now, mostly because of the kids. I like to have a certain amount of control over the process, particularly keeping things sanitary, and my options would be to relax or continuously scold my son for age appropriate curiosity.

Also, it isn't just a one day commitment from my better half to keep the kids out of my stuff. I need at least one more afternoon/evening for packaging. I had two batches of beer just sit in fermenters for too long and I had to dump them.

I wish I had some friendly brewers in the area where I could work something out. I visit, either buy some ingredients or put some sweat equity into something so we'd both be making it, and then I bring my keg back in a couple weeks and get a share of it packaged up.

Also, it isn't just a one day commitment from my better half to keep the kids out of my stuff. I need at least one more afternoon/evening for packaging. I had two batches of beer just sit in fermenters for too long and I had to dump them.
Sounds like an excuse for more equipment!

I'm just starting to do the purge-keg-with-fermentation-gas thing, and looking forward to packaging day just being a couple of hoses for closed transfer, and a bit of cleaning.

I feel you re kids, though. Brewing outside or in garage helps, but doesn't solve the child care issue. Maybe you can trade your brew day for her [enjoyable activity] day?

Oh I bought more equipment. I bought a wort screen for sparge/lautering, a new kettle, a couple of kegs, and a fancy wort chiller. Waiting for runoff, and then chilling were huge time sinks. But I've hardly used the wort chiller.

I tend to go through these lulls in brewing every now and then. Anywhere from 6-8 months or so. Usually it's a time issue, but most recently I had ruptured my Achilles in March. I wasn't able to brew again until about October! Now I'm back at it and have a few beers in the pipeline. I imagine I'll hit another lull at some point, but I always return. Plus, I usually use those lulls to strip apart the brewery and do a deep clean/reorganization. I have a small brew cave in my basement where my equipment is always setup and ready to go. Makes it easy to return after a lull.

Being the thread killer I am...I want to keep this alive by saying that I've been thinking about taking a hiatus from brewing. I've been thinking about this for a while, thought back in October that I would over the winter until spring, then I made an order and bought more yeast. 🤦‍♂️
But I basically don't drink beer at home anymore. This all started in the last year. I really started questioning my consumption in fall of '21, but mainly started wanting to cut back this year when beer really just started to not taste good and I didn't like the way it made me feel - maybe not so much in the moment, but later and the next day. If I drink too much I get a really horrible taste in my mouth during the night and the next morning (and to be honest, sometimes it's hard to limit how much I drink if I'm hanging out with friends). I wouldn't say I've got a major problem or anything, but honestly, I'm definitely on the spectrum of alcohol abuse disorder as many of us are. My family members have been talking about diabetes a lot lately and, man, do I want to do what I can to avoid that and at 40, I need to really take my health seriously now.

Last edited:
Being the thread killer I am...I want to keep this alive by saying that I've been thinking about taking a hiatus from brewing. I've been thinking about this for a while, thought back in October that I would over the winter until spring, then I made an order and bought more yeast. 🤦‍♂️
But I basically don't drink beer at home anymore. This all started in the last year. I really started questioning my consumption in fall of '21, but mainly started wanting to cut back this year when beer really just started to not taste good and I didn't like the way it made me feel - maybe not so much in the moment, but later and the next day. If I drink too much I get a really horrible taste in my mouth during the night and the next morning (and to be honest, sometimes it's hard to limit how much I drink if I'm hanging out with friends). I wouldn't say I've got a major problem or anything, but honestly, I'm definitely on the spectrum of alcohol abuse disorder as many of us are. My family members have been talking about diabetes a lot lately and, man, do I want to do what I can to avoid that and at 40, I need to really take my health seriously now.
40 😳 Wow, I really have issues. Pound it for 16 more years. 😎 I’ve had those same questions with myself. I get it it as well. I vowed to not drink any beer in 24, unless I didn’t make it. Figured it would make me brew and drink less. Now if I can kick this 10y old case of homemade blackberry wine out of my bed! Went from undrinkable to great! 24 has to be better than 23!!!

40 😳 Wow, I really have issues. Pound it for 16 more years. 😎 I’ve had those same questions with myself. I get it it as well. I vowed to not drink any beer in 24, unless I didn’t make it. Figured it would make me brew and drink less. Now if I can kick this 10y old case of homemade blackberry wine out of my bed! Went from undrinkable to great! 24 has to be better than 23!!!
That's called cognitive dissonance. You're unconscious mind desires one thing and your conscious mind desires another. In this case, one desires to drink less or not drink at all and the other still wants to drink. I've had this for the last 2 years. In fall of 2021 I had a scare where the doctor called me up and told me my liver enzymes were high and they wanted me to not drink for 2 months. The first month was easy, but the second month was a lot harder. I liked beer a lot more back then; it still tasted good. I drank a lot of non-alcoholic beers during those 2 months. In reality, my enzymes were high because I'd had pneumonia and had taken antibiotics, which has been shown to raise liver enzymes. My doctor should've known that, but didn't think about that at all. I really didn't drink THAT much and certainly not anymore than I did in prior years.

I'm going to experiment with some sparkling waters. I made a jalapeno/lime infused sparkling water this morning. I'll have to see how that turns out. But I think it may not be good since I boiled the jalapenos. It'll be vegetal. Oh well, I'll cook with it. I think adding the peppers in like a dry hop addition will be the better way to go.
I also made a regular hop water with some lime for acidity and 10g citra/simcoe, which I dry hopped and will stick in the kegerator later and put on gas (2.5 gallon batches).

I might quit because dealing with carbonation sucks - bottles suck, cornies suck, balancing lines sucks - I'm also the cellerman at a local brewery and it sucks there too.

Seriously though, I almost gave up this year. I thought I was loosing a step. Not just in brewing but work and music as well. I made mistakes on 6 straight batches after 15+ years of never needing to throw out a batch. Some of those mistakes were reasonable, I've occasionally forgotten to add the campden tablets but which hadn't mattered in the past because our water had been great but the utility company started adding chloramines and the mistake ended up with 10 gallons of slightly funky beer. But some were just plain stupid. I put the false bottom into my cooler but didn't actually connect it to the output. I forgot the aroma hops twice in a row. I ended up just dry hopping instead but the fact that I missed a step that was a step in every batch I've ever brewed, even the Mr Beer-like initial kit, was concerning. My wife, of course, pointed out that it's probably just stress (2023 sucked - multiple deaths, laid off, funeral home "shenanigans", etc).

But I'm powering through, and I brewed last weekend when it was nice out with a detailed check list and everything (almost) went fine. I did hook up the spunding valve on my Fermzilla to the same post as the dip tube so I ended up losing about a gallon, but I'm not being hard on myself for that one. It was only the second time I used it. And it has an easy fix, switch one of the posts from red to the orange ones so it triggers me to double check.

If it wasn't for my Beersmith brew day timer and brew sheet it's almost a sure bet I'd forget to put something in the boil kettle on every batch. That seems to be my weak spot in the brewing process. Pre-brew prep is 100% solid, post-pitch clean-up is as well, cold side management is also locked down, but without those BS facilities I'm pretty sure I'd be expanding styles left and right ;)

Cheers!

If it wasn't for my Beersmith brew day timer and brew sheet it's almost a sure bet I'd forget to put something in the boil kettle on every batch. That seems to be my weak spot in the brewing process. Pre-brew prep is 100% solid, post-pitch clean-up is as well, cold side management is also locked down, but without those BS facilities I'm pretty sure I'd be expanding styles left and right ;)

Cheers!
I need to figure out brewing software for the long term. I've been using the free-version of brewersfriend and I like it. But I want to make sure I am picking the best (for me) before paying. An issue I recently ran into is not being able to scale up a recipe, I basically had to enter my desired percentages into Excel and increase by weight that way. If someone knows how to do this in brewers friend or if the software you use easily allows that, please let me know

I quit brewing shortly after starting in early 2017. I brewed a few IPA's that quickly tasted like crap due to oxidation - I did not do any o2-free practices. I thought good tasting homebrew just was not possible and breweries had some kind of secret. I started again in late 2021 and did o2-free practices and my beers came out 100% better.

I need to figure out brewing software for the long term. I've been using the free-version of brewersfriend and I like it. But I want to make sure I am picking the best (for me) before paying. An issue I recently ran into is not being able to scale up a recipe, I basically had to enter my desired percentages into Excel and increase by weight that way. If someone knows how to do this in brewers friend or if the software you use easily allows that, please let me know

I quit brewing shortly after starting in early 2017. I brewed a few IPA's that quickly tasted like crap due to oxidation - I did not do any o2-free practices. I thought good tasting homebrew just was not possible and breweries had some kind of secret. I started again in late 2021 and did o2-free practices and my beers came out 100% better.
I use Brewfather. There is a free version that you can try. It has the capabilities of scaling recipes

I use Brewfather. There is a free version that you can try. It has the capabilities of scaling recipes
Can you build a grain bill by adding percentages? If not, how do you typically build a recipe based on provided percentages? Do you just add a ballpark figure for each and then adjust weight until it hits your target %?

I used and loved beer alchemy but due to a recent computer up grade and the fact that it is no longer supported I’ve switched to Beersmith. I’m catching on to it but there is a bit of a learning curve.

Can you build a grain bill by adding percentages? If not, how do you typically build a recipe based on provided percentages? Do you just add a ballpark figure for each and then adjust weight until it hits your target %?

Last I saw brewers friend displayed percentages. I think there was some kind of build-by-percentage tool as well, but I really don't adjust my recipes that way.

Yes, you can build a grain bill by adding percentages. That's how I enter my recipes from the book, "Brewing Classic Styles".

I do just that, add a ballpark figure (or what the recipe suggests) and then when all of the fermentables are entered, I click the 'set percentage" button.

Last I saw brewers friend displayed percentages. I think there was some kind of build-by-percentage tool as well, but I really don't adjust my recipes that way.

Yes, you can build a grain bill by adding percentages. That's how I enter my recipes from the book, "Brewing Classic Styles".

I do just that, add a ballpark figure (or what the recipe suggests) and then when all of the fermentables are entered, I click the 'set percentage" button.
I figured it out in brewers friend. Step 1 is setting a recipe goal in the top-left corner of the Fermentables section (ABV % or OG), once that is done, it allows you to enter the percentages for each and it then determines weights for each.

Last edited:
I've had some thoughts recently about my idea to just up and quit brewing and drinking. I'm really wanting a beer today and it's got me thinking. I have this black and white mentality about it, like it's gotta be I drink or I don't drink. Now mind you, I don't usually drink until I'm stupid but I do enjoy 4-6 pints on a heavy night, mostly weekends for that kind of drinking. I guess I feel it's unrealistic to say "Never again!". I love brewing and I love beer. I just get in these stretches where I don't love it so much and it doesn't love me back.

It seems like a realistic thing to do would be to take 1 week per month off from any alcohol as a reset. That equals 3 months a year, so that's something. Typically I don't drink 1 or 2 days a week, depending on the week. There's rarely a week anymore where I drink every single day.

I can't quit you homebrewing!!!

Maybe you should try "damp" January.
I‘m doing a “moist” January, I think it just sounds better than dry or damp. But lately, I’ve been trying to watch my weight, trying to cut back on drinking, been working 6-7 days a week, and just decided to put brewing on the back burner for now. I am expecting to get a few brews going here in the winter months, mostly low abv. So not quitting for now.

I've had some thoughts recently about my idea to just up and quit brewing and drinking. I'm really wanting a beer today and it's got me thinking. I have this black and white mentality about it, like it's gotta be I drink or I don't drink. Now mind you, I don't usually drink until I'm stupid but I do enjoy 4-6 pints on a heavy night, mostly weekends for that kind of drinking. I guess I feel it's unrealistic to say "Never again!". I love brewing and I love beer. I just get in these stretches where I don't love it so much and it doesn't love me back.

It seems like a realistic thing to do would be to take 1 week per month off from any alcohol as a reset. That equals 3 months a year, so that's something. Typically I don't drink 1 or 2 days a week, depending on the week. There's rarely a week anymore where I drink every single day.

I can't quit you homebrewing!!!
My father n law would always quit drinking from the start of Lent, until August 15th. He would always go to Fl on that date. Once he hit the Fl state line, all bets were off. He would drink Miller Lite like a fish until Lent. Fat Tuesday would come….no more. I’ve actually thought that would be a good idea.

Latest posts

Back