Why do people Quit brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still really a newbie (approaching 1 year in a few weeks) but I've actually had this question in the back of my mind.

At first it was the time commitment. I do really enjoy brewing, but it is time consuming and during the last year got in the way of a couple other hobbies. My brew process the first year was about as simple as gets (hot side anyway). Propane burner BIAB in the garage. I enjoyed it but it's also pretty labor/focus intensive. I'm moving indoors and electric soon (have 95% of the parts assembled for the new system and rest are in route) and while I know the time is still going to be the time I'm hoping that having some automation can help as I can at least walk away more and do some things around the house etc.

Now I'm starting to realize what I really like about brewing (well besides having really good beer on tap in my house) is the process and upgrading the process. I spent most of the last year gradually improving the cold side since I'm an NEIPA lover and wanted to get as much oxygen away from the cold side as possible. I already mentioned I'm upgrading the hot side now. I'm not doing everything I want to do on that side now. Saving some for future to spread out the money. One of the things I really like about the hobby though is thinking about how to improve the process/set up. I know there will always be improvements I can make, but there will also be a point I'm 95% percent of where I want to be and the improvements will be small incremental. There's a voice in the back of my head wondering if I'll like it as much when I get to that point.

Several folks I know have said the same thing, why brew it when it's all at the store now.

There's a very limited few I'll pick up at the beer store. I get very frustrated walking down the endless aisles of qwerky labels trying to find a clue of what kind of beer it is. I mean, the label art is nice and very creative to look at but I hate accidentally picking up a tangerine and cinnamon infused Oktoberfest some brewery thought would be a good brew.

I brew my own because I like my beer. I'm confident I'm saving anything but I know mostly what I'm getting.
If we start a thread of "Why do people quit telling others that they brew?" for me it will be getting questions like .....

Hey you brew beer? Have you ever considered making a beer with tangerine and cinnamon? I had one of those at ______ and really liked it.

No I have not considered that.

My issue is finding a beer at the store, looking at the date, and putting it back. There is a ton at the store. A ton of out of date/avg beer. Then what you like is $20/4 pack of pints. I feel like my beer is better than what I can buy. I’m stuck in an area that doesn’t get all the stuff I see on here. My kid is about to get his drivers license. That will help me out. I can see why people slow down. I can see why people start and leave once they see what it takes. Now that I’ve built the brewery and have all the investment, no way I’m quitting. I’ll stick it somewhere and let it collect dust before quitting. I have learned to brew beers that cellar well too. Nice to have something to pull while in a lull. I’ll look at it like golf. I play only a few times a year now. I still enjoy it every time. Even if I would only brew a few times a year, I’d enjoy it every time.

I “quit” for the most commonly heard reason: kids. It wasn’t so much time, but space. Living in a 1240sq ft NYC condo with 2 kids wasn’t conducive to brewing. I lost my tiny private room (half of the garage) when my second came.

I tried to keep brewing out of the small space that my garage became when we converted it into the master bedroom. The requirement that we keep a functioning garage door left me just enough space but between always having to brew outdoors and the need for more storage space, it eventually died off. I had set up a small reloading bench in my attic for making bullets but I couldn’t brew up there for obvious reasons.

Fast forward to 2021 and we moved to a much larger house in NJ. Brewing was immediately back in my mind but with renovations and other changes inherent to moving across state lines it took about a year to get back into it.

Now my garage houses my brewing and my reloading lol.

for me when i take a hiatus or when i took hiati (?) it was usually due to time constraints. kids, school obligations, work. fortunately i have enough time and money to brew . although money is not that much of an excuse. we throw money out every day with starbucks and netflix subscriptions that 10 bucks of grain and hops and yeast on a stove top biab 1 gallon batch makes money not an acceptable answer to why peopl stop brewing imo . brewhouse infection once stopped me from brewing for a while cause i was frustrated with a ruined batch of beer and thought im not doing this again. black friday a few months later brought back the bug. lol i imagine if for health reason i couldnt drink then i would stop brewing beer. but i would definately still ferment or can something. just to tinker.

🍻

I started brewing in Dec '18 after catching the bug from an old friend who owns a brewery. He quickly got me set up with equipment to brew 10 gallon batches after starting on plastic newbie gear. That turned into a pace of roughly 1 batch a month brewing 10 gallon pilot batches where I would give my friend a 1/6 bbl of finished beer for piloting new recipes and I would keep 5 gallons for my kegerator. Free ingredients and high demand fueled into a really active 3 years of brewing for me. Flash to '21 after my 2nd kid was born, and we decide to move 100 miles away to a house that needed 6 months of renovation work done to it, on top of just life, and that put the brewing halt on me for about 2 years. Dusted off the equipment this past April and have since brewed about 5 batches (was able to host our Oktoberfest party which was a blast) and am just starting to make pilot batches for my buddy's brewery again, just need to figure out the transportation logistics as I'm not a 10 minute drive away from him like I used to be.

I'll probably hover around the 4-10 batch per year range moving forward now that I'm set up again (event dependent and pilot batch specific), but I'm also not trying to drink more beer like I was in 2020 during the pandemic because that would be a path for destruction. I'm also very simple when it comes to beer styles. I prefer a German lager or a Sierra Nevada Pale/Celebration Ale. I also now live 2 blocks from my town's local brewery and they churn out some great stuff + Friday night wood fired pizzas, so buying good beer is very easy as well.

I'll continue to tinker with fermenters and cold side equipment now that I have access to my TIG welding equipment. One hobby helps encourage the other.

I had quit brewing from 2017 to now because I realized that the labor was not worth it. It was much too simple to just go buy good beer VS do everything involved with Home Brew.

I have picked it back up because it was either Magic the Gathering or This... The hobbies cost pretty much exactly the same and I like This much better!

i brewed my first batch in 2005 at age 19 to get around not being 21. did it a lot for 3 years, quit for several years, started again for several years, quit for several years, and have currently been brewing regularly since 2018.

i plan to brew until I die. not only do i enjoy the process but i love my beer and i like knowing it came from scratch and its fresh. i dont care about gear, i dont care about competitions, i dont care about exploring styles or learning anymore, beer is just part of my diet and i make mine.

i do need to be careful i dont drink too much. making sure i dont drink too much means i never have to quit drinking and can continue drinking beer forever. 1 beer a day forever >>> tons of beer in the next few years and then being sober forever

...of course sometimes you have to pull the trigger and drink all the beer you want

i brewed my first batch in 2005 at age 19 to get around not being 21. did it a lot for 3 years, quit for several years, started again for several years, quit for several years, and have currently been brewing regularly since 2018.

i plan to brew until I die. not only do i enjoy the process but i love my beer and i like knowing it came from scratch and its fresh. i dont care about gear, i dont care about competitions, i dont care about exploring styles or learning anymore, beer is just part of my diet and i make mine.

i do need to be careful i dont drink too much. making sure i dont drink too much means i never have to quit drinking and can continue drinking beer forever. 1 beer a day forever >>> tons of beer in the next few years and then being sober forever

...of course sometimes you have to pull the trigger and drink all the beer you want
That's the spirit! Brew till death! :rock:

I likely will as well, as least until I get to an age/point in life where it really just makes no sense to continue. Like someone else said, treating it like golf and playing a few times a year, and really enjoying those few times you play... This is what I do with golf too haha I used to be super serious...like aspirations to be a pro when I was in highschool. Brewing once a quarter seems prudent for someone not quite wanting to put all their energy into but definitely still keep it a part of their life.

My issue is finding a beer at the store, looking at the date, and putting it back. There is a ton at the store. A ton of out of date/avg beer. Then what you like is $20/4 pack of pints. I feel like my beer is better than what I can buy.
Yep! While you can walk into any grocery store and see a huge array of IPAs, it can be a real gamble. Classic American IPAs can be hard to find (or just a Pale Ale that is not 6% and hazy). I do like Hazy IPAs, but I avoid purchasing them unless they are fresh at the brewery...which means $18 4-packs. I can have a brewery-fresh beer on tap that is tweaked towards my preferences and I don't have to spend $9 per glass (though I still do that). Also, lots of the stuff imported from Europe is stale (though I find as more is canned, it is easier to get a fresh tasting import).

There are also a lot of styles that are just hard to find.

Have you ever considered making a beer with tangerine and cinnamon? I had one of those at ______ and really liked it.
The question I get is, "This is good! Why don't you open your own brewery?"
No, I don't want to ruin a fun hobby by making it a job. And I will never be able to make this because it would cost too much to produce.

And as far as the tangerine cinnamon goes, it's getting so that the brewpubs seem to have more and more of that (#**%@#) on tap. So I stick to brewing my strong brown ales, imperial pales & whatever else I care to make big because it's not on the shelves or on tap.

Last edited:
I'm not ready to say officially that "I have quit brewing", but it's been 2 years now since I made a batch and I don't see myself brewing again in the foreseeable future. For me it has all boiled down to time and the trade offs of the time it takes to brew versus what I can do with that time in other parts of my life.

I love brewing. I love the process, the recipe creation, the smells, the science, and of course the finished product. The creative process and outlet is really relaxing to me. But over the last 2 years I've taken a new job that sucks a lot more time out of my day, moved out of my house into a $#!tty apartment that really isn't conducive to brewing and when I weigh the 6-8 hours spent on a brew day against all the other things, brewing just doesn't make it to the top of the list.

I hope one day to get back to it, but in the meantime I get to try whatever craft beer I can find at my local bars and bottle shops. I guess I'm lucky that I live in a time where you can't spit without hitting 100 different breweries.

Cheers!

Been brewing on and off since mid 80s. Never been a heavy drinker, and usually only me drinking, so 4 to 6 brews a year was always a lot solo. Stopped a few times due to work, moved a couple of times and was just hard to get unpacked. But would do one or two brews to just keep it up. Really disliked my setup and ran across the electric brewers a few years ago about the same time I thought about really brewing more. Bought an anvil and been brewing with it more than ever. Trashed the old metal 3 tier stands. Got to get rid of the keg boilers one day. But I can easily brew in less than 4 hours including cleanup. And it is way easier. Not stopping here.

I mostly took a few years break because I moved into the sticks, away from people, no brewing friends, no one to share it with, needing to build a new keezer because I left my old 1 behind when I moved, etc. A million reasons. Now I'm back with 8 rebuilt kegs and ready to add my 2 tap tower to the new keezer this weekend, brewing to rebuild my pipeline with 1 on tap, 2 fermenting, and 1 more on the schedule for this weekend.

Did you get the thirty pointer? With your oozy laser radar heat seeking missile launching shot gun?
LMAO . . .

Reminds me of the story of a fellow who bagged a deer with a civil war howitzer loaded with grape shot and then pretended he used a shotgun and buckshot.

I haven't brewed in a couple of years. Seems one day I lost my round tuit.

I started in 2020, pulled the trigger on equipment right as Rona happened. I had helped a buddy with his brews a few times a couple years before this point. Started with a used extract kit I got for pennies, and now I've sunk more than I care to even think about in stainless goodies. Last year I didn't brew at all because of time. Life and work just didn't let me have that 8-10 hours to only focus on a brew day. I'm working on a balance to keep my sanity, and those brew days do help with it. Labor of love! I just wish I had more of those down days to brew more often. I have not quit, but have taken some long hiatuses. As I've gotten older, I'm more willing to spend more for the hobbies I truly enjoy. I also have a woman that supports doing what makes me happy. That is what wins the spending-justification for this hobby.

I started in 2020, pulled the trigger on equipment right as Rona happened. I had helped a buddy with his brews a few times a couple years before this point. Started with a used extract kit I got for pennies, and now I've sunk more than I care to even think about in stainless goodies. Last year I didn't brew at all because of time. Life and work just didn't let me have that 8-10 hours to only focus on a brew day. I'm working on a balance to keep my sanity, and those brew days do help with it. Labor of love! I just wish I had more of those down days to brew more often. I have not quit, but have taken some long hiatuses. As I've gotten older, I'm more willing to spend more for the hobbies I truly enjoy. I also have a woman that supports doing what makes me happy. That is what wins the spending-justification for this hobby.
8-10 hours? Dude, time to start being more efficient with your process! It takes me 4.5-5 hours to brew and that's because I have a weak stove. When I had a more powerful stove it was usually about 4 hours.

I started brewing in early 90’s after a seeing a brewing kit in a magazine ad. The kit came with plastic fermenter, bubbler, caps & capper, a can of pre-hopped malt syrup, a packet of “beer yeast”, and an order form for more cans of the malt syrup & yeast. They even had several styles. I think I brewed the Canadian lager the most, but eventually tried all their offerings.

Like many others here, two kids, several job changes and moves relegated brewing to the end of the list. But eventually, I ran into another brewer here and got interested again. He steered me to a supplier an hours drive north of here where I could pick up any of a wide variety of kits. I did those for awhile until my growing kids took me into new activities.

Then one day, while enjoying a weekend hobby with a group of friends, a buddy suggested we go over to the next town and grab a meal at a brewpub he knew about. I was fascinated by the big shiny vessels in the storefront as I walked in. They asked for my order, and I just said I wanted something dark. The waitress brought me an Irish Oatmeal Stout! I knew that I wanted to make beer again; you don’t see beer like this in the stores, and there were no brewpubs where I lived.

I eventually moved to all-grain, and have been ditching the plastic for stainless, and upsizing my batches. I’m all but retired now, so I have a little more time. I just made the trek to the (L)HBS and brought home nearly 150lbs of grain, yeast, CO2, a book, and other odds & ends. This will supply me through the coming year pretty much. The bill was a bit staggering, but when I did a little math, it was less than a six-pack a week of Budweiser!

To be sure, there’s other expenses, as with all hobbies; but for me, for now, I find it worth it.

I dread all the cleaning.

I have reduced my beer/ale production from about 10 gallons a month to maybe 15 gallons (or 0 gallons) a year. Mostly because of the cleaning side of it, but also not happy with WhiteLabs increased costs for yeast, other increases in costs (shipping has become bad for bags of grain), and I never really consumed much as I gave it away and used it for competition (another cost). Also there was a period where getting bottles was difficult. No idea if any of this has improved.

I've transitioned to making hydromel (~4.0% to 4.75%) mead. Force carbonated it is a very refreshing drink in the summer. I lightly backsweeten with Allulose to keep calories down but provides a good balance. Much less cleaning. I ferment in a keg, then transfer to a secondary keg. Only need to really clean kegs.

8-10 hours? Dude, time to start being more efficient with your process! It takes me 4.5-5 hours to brew and that's because I have a weak stove. When I had a more powerful stove it was usually about 4 hours.
Yeah, I could totally revamp it and make things more efficient. This is using a Foundry on 220. Milling my grains beforehand, maybe a better way to cool the wort down besides an immersion coil.. there's options I need to look at and do.

I dread all the cleaning.

I have reduced my beer/ale production from about 10 gallons a month to maybe 15 gallons (or 0 gallons) a year. Mostly because of the cleaning side of it, but also not happy with WhiteLabs increased costs for yeast, other increases in costs (shipping has become bad for bags of grain), and I never really consumed much as I gave it away and used it for competition (another cost). Also there was a period where getting bottles was difficult. No idea if any of this has improved.

I've transitioned to making hydromel (~4.0% to 4.75%) mead. Force carbonated it is a very refreshing drink in the summer. I lightly backsweeten with Allulose to keep calories down but provides a good balance. Much less cleaning. I ferment in a keg, then transfer to a secondary keg. Only need to really clean kegs.
The keg cleaning does suck. I despise that part of it for sure. Things are not fun if you don't have a decent deep garage sink.

I started brewing in early 90’s after a seeing a brewing kit in a magazine ad. The kit came with plastic fermenter, bubbler, caps & capper, a can of pre-hopped malt syrup, a packet of “beer yeast”, and an order form for more cans of the malt syrup & yeast. They even had several styles. I think I brewed the Canadian lager the most, but eventually tried all their offerings.

Like many others here, two kids, several job changes and moves relegated brewing to the end of the list. But eventually, I ran into another brewer here and got interested again. He steered me to a supplier an hours drive north of here where I could pick up any of a wide variety of kits. I did those for awhile until my growing kids took me into new activities.

Then one day, while enjoying a weekend hobby with a group of friends, a buddy suggested we go over to the next town and grab a meal at a brewpub he knew about. I was fascinated by the big shiny vessels in the storefront as I walked in. They asked for my order, and I just said I wanted something dark. The waitress brought me an Irish Oatmeal Stout! I knew that I wanted to make beer again; you don’t see beer like this in the stores, and there were no brewpubs where I lived.

I eventually moved to all-grain, and have been ditching the plastic for stainless, and upsizing my batches. I’m all but retired now, so I have a little more time. I just made the trek to the (L)HBS and brought home nearly 150lbs of grain, yeast, CO2, a book, and other odds & ends. This will supply me through the coming year pretty much. The bill was a bit staggering, but when I did a little math, it was less than a six-pack a week of Budweiser!

To be sure, there’s other expenses, as with all hobbies; but for me, for now, I find it worth it.
I had gone to a brew north of me two years ago and they had a big sale on grains. I ended up bringing a bag of 2row and about 20lbs each of some crystals and others I thought I could use with a lot of types. I had also bought a recipe kit of a pretty basic IPA they made. I've since made that kit and have not touched anything else I've gotten there. I feel like I don't brew enough to have justified having all the lose grain on hand. The kits from MoreBeer are letting me try different varieties and get better at the process (which also needs work). It's a little more expensive but kind of nice as everything is there and included. I'll get to the point of making my own soon and being a little more adventurous.

The keg cleaning does suck. I despise that part of it for sure. Things are not fun if you don't have a decent deep garage sink.

Just to note the other side...if I had a deep garage sink I'd get rid of it and install something like I have now. I've used the deep sinks, and they're not for me. I hate bending over at them just to clean something.

Here's a pic of my setup.

1703643639411.jpeg

As you can see, I have a sink sprayer, and set it up to the left of the sink that I can lay a keg on the left side. Easy to spray out, easy to rinse.

That sink sits on a 4" high concrete slab I put in to raise it up to a comfortable height. I don't have to bend over to use that sink and it's a real pleasure to use. I hate bending over to use a deep sink. Oh, I said that.

I found that sink on "junk day" so they aren't that common, but if I had to do it again, I'd buy a cheap sink cabinet at a home store (or better yet, find someone throwing one away). Put in a cheap countertop, put a shallow sink in it (enamel, stainless, whatever) and there you are. You can raise up the cabinet to whatever height you want with 2x4s or whatever is your choice.

The lip of the sink is 40" above the floor, the bowl is 6" deep. (FWIW, all my workbenches are at least 38" high. I *hate* bending over to work at something...oh, I said that already).

I use a keg washer which makes the keg-cleaning job a little less onerous. They aren't exactly cheap at about $99 but if you're a little bit handy you can make one for less than half with a 5-gallon bucket, a pump, and some tubing.

I have enough kegs that I keep the unclean ones and do a bunch at one time.

I also have a purging system which takes a little time but gives me a virtually perfectly purged keg ready to receive newly fermented beer. Once the keg is clean, and I rinse it out, I'll run a little water through the liquid post to rinse the long dip tube. Then I fill the keg with Star San (I have one keg full of 5 gallons of Star San). What I do is use a transfer coupling from the "out" post of the keg filled with Star San to the "out" post of the newly cleaned keg. I'll use CO2 to push the Star San from the donor keg to the receiver, leaving the lid cracked open.

When the fresh keg is filled with Star San, the donor keg is empty, and I've now purged the donor keg completely with CO2.

When I get to the end of the Star San, the CO2 starts bubbling up in the newly cleaned keg. I disconnect and connect the QD to regulate the bubbles; when the top of the keg is full of bubbles, I'll let them overflow a bit and then install the lid through the bubbles. What's in the bubbles? CO2! So what I've done is filled a get completely with Star San and CO2. It's sealed, and it now becomes the donor keg for the next cleaned one. And when that keg is emptied of Star San, I'll put a piece of green electrical tape on the handle to denote that it's clean and purged.

Then when I close-transfer newly fermented beer into that keg, that beer is going into a purged keg virtually devoid of oxygen.

1703644834263.jpeg

I'm almost fanatical about trying to keep oxygen away from my beer. This approach isn't perfect (there's always just a bit of air in the gas tube inside the keg), but between the fill and resulting emptying of CO2 when filling with beer, it's about as perfect as I can get.

All of this is FYI and if you already knew, maybe for someone else to think about and possibly try.

Is cleaning kegs really that bad? I typically soak them overnight in PBW or oxy clean water and then when it comes time to use them again fill with star san and purge with CO2.
I don’t even do this. I just use hot water, soap, and a long-handled scrub brush whenever a keg kicks. Takes me maybe 4 minutes to clean one.

Is cleaning kegs really that bad? I typically soak them overnight in PBW or oxy clean water and then when it comes time to use them again fill with star san and purge with CO2.
No, cleaning kegs is really not that hard. I break mine down every time and use PBW with a carboy brush. But I can see why people dread cleaning them. It's just one of those things, like mowing the lawn, it's not hard but I always dread doing it.

I've been following along with folks comments and I have offered my own. I enjoy brewing beer and yes it does require some work and time.

I haven't read of anyone brewing beer by the pint. That would certainly shave off some time and work involved. Think about the variety you could have on hand.

When I'm cleaning a keg (not too often because I don't brew too often) I think back to when I was cleaning 50 bottles, give or take.
And removing labels. I have 25 cases that I’ve cleaned and stacked away. I still bottle occasionally. Like all my other BS that I bought. I have a dozen bucket fermenters too. Who does that? I guess I’ve never thought of any brewing process as work. Then again, I’ve labored my entire career. Iron work, steel fabrication, placing concrete, that’s what I consider work. Everyone has a different view. I guess that’s why I’m in the never quitting crowd.

And removing labels. I have 25 cases that I’ve cleaned and stacked away. I still bottle occasionally. Like all my other BS that I bought. I have a dozen bucket fermenters too. Who does that? I guess I’ve never thought of any brewing process as work. Then again, I’ve labored my entire career. Iron work, steel fabrication, placing concrete, that’s what I consider work. Everyone has a different view. I guess that’s why I’m in the never quitting crowd.
Everyone that asks me about brewing beer and what it takes has gotten overwhelmed and turned off of the idea after explaining the process. I enjoy the labor of it for sure, and having the ability to create something so different that no one does around me, besides breweries of course. It's a cool niche and let's my tinker side flourish. I get so burned out at work (no pun meant, but I'm in the fire service) and just can't catch up with everything else going on around the house.

@beersk made a big point about being more efficient about my process that I need to really visit. It's taken a whole day of my time and it really shouldn't. That's been my struggle to have to devote a whole day with all my other projects going on. Need more hours in the day has been my complaint forever.

Everyone that asks me about brewing beer and what it takes has gotten overwhelmed and turned off of the idea after explaining the process. I enjoy the labor of it for sure, and having the ability to create something so different that no one does around me, besides breweries of course. It's a cool niche and let's my tinker side flourish. I get so burned out at work (no pun meant, but I'm in the fire service) and just can't catch up with everything else going on around the house.

@beersk made a big point about being more efficient about my process that I need to really visit. It's taken a whole day of my time and it really shouldn't. That's been my struggle to have to devote a whole day with all my other projects going on. Need more hours in the day has been my complaint forever.
Well, I can’t say too much there. I generally do 12.5-20g batches. Most of my brew days take me 8+ hours. 10hrs if I use my HERMS and do a few steps. Like when I brew my Kolsch or Helles. I try to get away from fly sparging. I’ve tried full volume too. Does save some time, guess I’m set in my ways. Really looking at an all in one for smaller batches. I’m brewing cellar stuff now. The pipeline is dry here!

I haven't read of anyone brewing beer by the pint. That would certainly shave off some time and work involved. Think about the variety you could have on hand.
🤔 Ya reckon I could repurpose my electric percolator into an all-in-one mini-brewpot???
I could brew up coffee in the morning, and brew in the evening!

Last edited:
"So I brewed a shot of beer" is a topic from late 2019.

Also, from 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!, page 183:
It took me awhile to find this, I'm attaching an old article that was printed in Brewing Techniques 1998, jokingly talks about how to brew beer 1 pint at a time in the office using office equipment like the coffee maker.

I remember making a copy of this and hanging it up in my cubicle back in the day. I came in the next day to 2 managers waiting for me to tell me I had to take it down. Some people don’t see humor. It’s obviously tongue in cheek and the author’s intent is not really to have people brewing barleywine in the office on company time.

mods: If this is not allowed i.e. copyrights or such, please delete. BT has been out of business for many years, as great a magazine as it was.

Attachments

• officebrew.jpg
    officebrew.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It took me awhile to find this, I'm attaching an old article that was printed in Brewing Techniques 1998, jokingly talks about how to brew beer 1 pint at a time in the office using office equipment like the coffee maker.

I remember making a copy of this and hanging it up in my cubicle back in the day. I came in the next day to 2 managers waiting for me to tell me I had to take it down. Some people don’t see humor. It’s obviously tongue in cheek and the author’s intent is not really to have people brewing barleywine in the office on company time.

mods: If this is not allowed i.e. copyrights or such, please delete. BT has been out of business for many years, as great a magazine as it was.
That's a great article! My place of employment would have me take it down too. I downloaded a copy so I can print it off for my bar.

Thanks for posting that! Super cool!

Latest posts

Back