Why do I need to take a sample to take a hydrometer reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipc

Reaction score
Every time I see hydrometer readings mentioned, it seams that people are suggesting removing a sample, testing, and not returning the sample. If you sanitize your hydrometer, is there a problem with measuring from the fermenter? I guess a sample is a good excuse to taste the beer, but is there reason other than this?

-Philip

If you're fermenting in a bucket, then it's straightforward enough to take a reading in the bucket. You just have to exersize some care to not touch the wort.

There's no good way to take a reading in a carboy--well, actually the problem is getting the hydrometer out without the risk of contamination. The general thought is that it's worth sacrificing a few ounces of beer to maintain the most sanitary conditions possible.

not to mention the kraeusen and other gunk that might be in the way of reading the scale.

Kai

King Kai said:
not to mention the kraeusen and other gunk that might be in the way of reading the scale.

Kai

Agreed and if it is a bucket don't you have to stick your head in the bucket to read it then? :confused:.

Get yourself a $1 turkey baster at walley world; sanitize and nab a sample. Drink the sample to see how she's going as well.;)

Reasons to take a sample:
1) opening a bucket fermenter is risky: there are germs in the air and you risk a contamination by moving the lid and exposing the surface of the wort. introducing a sanitized sampler (thief, syphon) through a hole is safer.
2) in a carboy, it is virtually impossible to get the thing out
3) accurate reading is difficult/imposible in a primary bucket (paralax, krausen, etc)
4) tasting gives you a feeling of the progress

On the other hand, there are many here* who NEVER take hydrometer readings who still produce some pretty good beer, if you can believe them.

*I am one of these - but you will have to take my word for it on the beer.

Tasting your ale at various stages is important to your understanding of the process. If your only goal is ABV, then ...

I wish I wouldnt have broken my hydrometer before I could even use it... but from talking to people pf this board.. a lot dont use one.. so until I start getting into more complex bres, I dont use one either... I just leave in the primary for 1 week.. secondary 2 weeks and then keg... It seems like it would be hard to get a sample out of my 6.5gal carboys...

In our earlier, somewhat contentious;) , thread I said that I didn't think you needed them even though I went through the motions with mine. The numbers never really meant anything to me. Until.....

...that fated day when my Nut Brown Ale stalled and was saved by a hydro reading.

I'm so convinced now that I'd go buy a new one if I broke mine. Dang I should knock on wood!

Jester said:
I wish I wouldnt have broken my hydrometer before I could even use it... I just leave in the primary, 1 week, 2 weeks and then keg...

wow youve got a keg but not a hydrometer, now thats someone with thier priorities right!

i started out using one, but then stopped, and now i use one in a limited capacity (one reading before pitching, one more before bottling)

other than that i think people just use them for sh*ts and giggles...

I personally like to take hydrometer readings so I know how the ferment is going. If I only brewed one type of beer using one type of yeast, then it wouldn't be a big deal.

But beers of differing gravities, using different yeasts will ferment at much different rates. Adding to that, I don't have a dedicated fermentation chamber, so my temps vary quite a bit.

Testing the gravity give me guideposts that let me know how the beer is coming along. Given the variances in each beer I brew, it's one of the few variables I can measure accurately along the way.

My basic philosophy on brewing is pretty laid back. Experimentation is good, but damned if I put together a recipe for a dry beer and bottle it before it's done......or a sweet one that's over attenuated.

Ivan Lendl said:
other than that i think people just use them for sh*ts and giggles...
My main use in the hydrometer is that I can calculate the alcohol content. And now that I'm starting to get my all grain procedure dialed in, I'm finding that if I follow procedure right, I'm getting close to or above 80% efficiency. That way I can tweak recipes in promash even more.

And then being as anal retentive as I am I get plenty of sh*ts and giggles out of it too.:D

I use one for every brew. Mine came with the kit I bought from LHBS. My first four batches didn't ferment as far as they should have. I tried everything to get them to attenuate farther. Then we found out the extract I was using was mashed incorrectly. Switched extracts and the problem went away.

I never would have known there was a problem if I didn't have the hydrometer. Then again, most of the beer tasted fine, I just had to drink more of it.:drunk:

Philipc: So far I agree with all the comments made. All good replies.

Now you need to combine all of those reasons and give them a try.:D

When I take a sample using a Thief. I use the hydrometer in the plastic tube. My primaries and secondaries (carboys) all have the temperature strips on them. This way I don't have to sanitize and take a temp reading. I just read the container.

The "sample" hydrometer reading is taken and record the date. Then I pour it into a small (fruit) glass and critique it by color, aroma, flavor, and mouthfeel. Then I write all those notes down to see how the brew is progressing. This is my log.

True... a hydrometer is not absolutely necesary, especially for extract brewers.

But still may be useful. Most of the people uses it for estimating abv only. but in my case it is more a learning tool. Among the uses I found for it are:
estimating evaporation (take pre-post boil gravity), abv calculation, decide to bottle or not if fermentation stopped to early, etc.

Of course I don't need to know all of these to make beer, but I'm curious and knowing many of these things may prove useful one day... who knows?

Back