Why do commerical breweries use different chemicals for cleaning & sanitizing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
Just a general interest question: I've noticed most commercial breweries, even at very small scales, are using different chemicals -- specific acids for cleaning instead of PBW, alcohol instead of starsan, probably others.

Why is this? Do the homebrew versions not scale up for some reason, or are they just trying to be more aggressive because of the stakes (assuming their choices work better, I have no idea)?

Are there breweries using PBW or starsan that you've seen?

Id say because there are different options out there. People will always use different things if there are several options available. Whether due to misunderstanding, misinformation, or stubbornness

Most breweries I've been in the backroom checking out with the equipment with use pbw and starsan though. The brewery 2 blocks down from me uses some red acid wash too which I have yet to use. They gave me some of it cause they said it would really help clean out my plate chiller if used alternating with PBW since PBW is basic

I've also heard they need to use some harsh chemicals to remove beer stone from their fermenters. Since they use them for a long time compared to home brewers. I mean I replace my plastic buckets every couple of years or sooner, can't imagine the cost of that to a decent sized commercial brewer.

It's mostly Clean In Place where they can't move the equipment and manually scrub. They pump the cleaners through their systems and it washes the stubborn stuff out.

We don't generally have that problem as our equipment is small enough to allow for a quick manual cleaning using safer chemicals.

Many breweries do use PBW, since it was developed expressly for use by Coors. As far as StarSan not very many, it foams too much for CIP systems. Many use SaniClean which is very similar but non-foaming.

Just a general interest question: I've noticed most commercial breweries, even at very small scales, are using different chemicals -- specific acids for cleaning instead of PBW, alcohol instead of starsan, probably others.

What's your sample size and documentation on this? There are commerical acid products that are not available to the general public and some other choices that we don't have. As for PBW it is a commercial product and I would bet heavily that many breweries use it, or another similar compound. Take a look at Five Star's website. Do you think they make their nut selling little plastic jars to homebrewers when there are 50 and 450 lb packages being sold to micros?

As for alcohol, personally I'd be leery of any commerical brewer using it for a sanitizer other than perhaps lab glassware. It's not really strong enough and there are just too many other better choices like Starsan & other acid-based products, iodophor, and quanternary ammonia santizers.

Many breweries do use PBW, since it was developed expressly for use by Coors. As far as StarSan not very many, it foams too much for CIP systems. Many use SaniClean which is very similar but non-foaming.

Saniclean is low foam not no foam.Peracetic acid is no foam and is what most breweries use for santizer when using pumps for CIP. PBW and starsan are still used in non CIP duties though.

I worked in food service (supermarkets and restaurants) while I was in high school and college. The stuff you use in your kitchen to clean is effective at cleaning only on a non-industrial scale. The sheer amounts of chemicals that are required by law to clean and sanitize cooking equipment, floors, soda machines, carpeting and every other surface at the end of every day would make your head spin. In fact, it's kind of gross.

I would imagine breweries have to operate within the same laws, if not stricter ones.

Back