Why did the little beastys quit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes79

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My 6th batch of beer, 2nd saison.

2 lbs gold lme
2 lbs Pilsen lme
.5 lbs honey
1 oz liberty hops
1 oz sterling hops
Wyeast 3724

2.5 gal batch OG 1.060, pitch temp 69F
Stalled 1.046, raised temp to 80F 2 days didn't help.
Pitched Belle Saison at 80F, 4 hours later took off.:) 4 hours later nothing:(
Stuck at 1.042. EC-1118 next unless you tell me different. Thanks Guys!

3724 is a notorious mid-ferm staller. Now 1.046 is a much higher gravity than I've ever heard of.

First, is that 1.046 a hydrometer reading or perhaps an uncorrected refractometer reading? Usually it stalls around the high 20s to low 30s. A sudden drop in temps can also cause it to go dormant.

Give the Belle Saison a chance to get a foothold; it may take a couple days. Your beer is pretty safe at this point, as long as you keep good sanitation standards when tinkering with it.

Is your beer in a bucket?

When I had an issue w/ 3734 stalling I repitched w/ T-58.
I reconstituted the T-58 plus added a couple of Tablespoons of OJ to the yeast slurry. It took off in no time. I did let the temp free rise & finished at 1.003!

FWIW, 3724 is known for stalling. I've read of it taking a month to finish at 90*F.

I wish WYeast added 3726 to their permanent yeast catalog. It's only available as a seasonal/PC yeast once in a long while. It's a very similar strain, without the stalling effects.

I've moved on to ECY Saison strains with and without Brett, and really like the results. Most were done starting at lower temps (65F) some allowing to free rise after the 50-60% mark. No stalling antics there. Speaking of, time to brew another Saison.

Sorry it took so long, beer is in a 3gal carboy. Well the 1118 goes back in the fridg. I'll
just let it sit a little longer, maybe a week, then we'll see how she goes. Thank's for the input.

When I had an issue w/ 3734 stalling I repitched w/ T-58.
I reconstituted the T-58 plus added a couple of Tablespoons of OJ to the yeast slurry. It took off in no time. I did let the temp free rise & finished at 1.003!

That's out of gravity range for beer.
I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago to a nice batch of wort pitched with Saflager 34/70. It went acidic at bottling day and wasn't even close to being a beer, and was more like a malt vinegar ... so I pitched it.
Wife, being the cheapskate, told me she would've liked keeping it. I didn't quite agree.

That's out of gravity range for beer.

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago to a nice batch of wort pitched with Saflager 34/70. It went acidic at bottling day and wasn't even close to being a beer, and was more like a malt vinegar ... so I pitched it.

Wife, being the cheapskate, told me she would've liked keeping it. I didn't quite agree.

No so. The BJCP FG range for a Saison is 1.002-1.008.

Back