Why can't people post $%#@!# pictures upright??!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgimpkins

Reaction score
Personal pet-peeve of mine: Why is it whenever somebody is selling something online, it is a requirement that they take a picture of it (usually out of focus) sideways without rotating it to upright? So now me, the interested buyer has to either crane my neck sideways to get a good view of it, or imagine it upright.

It is not that hard to upright a photo, here is what you do:

Step 1: Open the photo before posting

Step 2: Press the following button until "upright"
Rotate.png

People on a local Craigslist seemed to have turn the incompetence up a notch. Now instead of having photos jacked all sideways, they seem to be posting them rotated upside-down. Yeah that is even better :mad:

In a JPEG file there is a tag for the orientation of the photo. When you take a picture with your phone it uses its sensors (accelerometer) to detect how you are holding your phone relative to how the camera sensor is mounted on that phone.

Many image viewers will then rotate the image for you also considering the orientation of the display so everything looks right. The users may not even know their picture is sideways or upside down as it looks right to them.

Now it gets complicated as some viewers don't support that tag, notably Microsoft's image viewer through at least Windows7. MSFT was a little slow to catch up with the mobile camera revolution. Some other viewers and even websites may also mess up the orientation tag.

Then you have phones (or specific camera apps on phones, on Android the app has to figure this all out, not some magic from the OS or the phone maker) that screw this up and don't record the orientation tag correctly, also made more complicated as some cameras are mounted completely rotated around from normal use to better fit on the circuit board. These weird mountings cause some apps that get the orientation flag right sometimes to just be broken.

I'll take a mis-rotated photo instead of a vertical video. And don't get me started on vertical videos that are then uploaded and pillared to fit a proper resolution. Now I've done what I told you not to.

I'll take a mis-rotated photo instead of a vertical video. And don't get me started on vertical videos that are then uploaded and pillared to fit a proper resolution. Now I've done what I told you not to.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA[/ame]

And here I was making a point of posting photos with a 90° twist, clockwise or counter clockwise, just to exercise your neck.

And then you have the audacity, the sheer gall to complain about it? After I'm HELPING you?

Thanks a lot, you insensitive clod.

:D

Sometimes I send pics via my gmail account, and sometimes the pics are oriented correctly, and sometimes they are rotated 90 degrees. Makes me crazy.

Back