Why can't i start herms recirc with cold water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
Been wanting to ask this for some time.

I see on John Palmers mashing texts that various starches ect are "released" at different temps on their way up to the optimal mashing temp of ± 154 F.
See pic attached (I hope)

With my new HERMS system, why can't I start my circulation through the grist when the water in the HLT is still starting to heat up and let the grist go from tap water temp until it reaches ± 154 F where the PID will keep it for an hour.

That way I will have gone through every possible temp and protein rests and all the other stages particular to certain starches (maybe not exactly according to specified times) and not have to worry about timing anything.

Also save time as I don't have to wait for the HLT to get up to temp.

There's probably a good reason but just wondered.

I think the reason you want to hit specific temps is so that you can have some control over they types of starches produced, which then impacts the fermentability of the final wort, which ultimately impacts the final product - lighter bodied beer vs heavier bodied beer, etc...

Ramping up from room temp to desired final mash temp takes away some of that control. You will still have beer - and it may be great beer - but it may not be quite the style you were shooting for...

Back