Why barley takes longer to sprout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugs love it here :(
Looks like a cooler and humid environment over there.
Here it's raining for the past two days right now pleasant weather but from next week as June approaches it will be 42 C with a harsh sun. In such hot dry climate not even a fly can be seen on any food item.
Though from mid July during monsoon all kinds of insects come out , with extreme humid weather. That's not the ideal season for I guess malting or fermentation bcz of high risk of bacterial contamination. Bacteria comes from the body sweat or insects.

Looks like a cooler and humid environment over there.
Here it's raining for the past two days right now pleasant weather but from next week as June approaches it will be 42 C with a harsh sun. In such hot dry climate not even a fly can be seen on any food item.
Though from mid July during monsoon all kinds of insects come out , with extreme humid weather. That's not the ideal season for I guess malting or fermentation bcz of high risk of bacterial contamination. Bacteria comes from the body sweat or insects.

you explicative ;) ...and your

anyway, it was 109f or 42c in phoenix just a few weeks ago.....and DRY as a bone! but the cockroaches love it apparently! the flies love it too!

and it's only May! it'll be up to 120f when the monsoon starts!

i'd recommend malting indoors, but deculming outside. :mug:

you explicative ;) ...and your

anyway, it was 109f or 42c in phoenix just a few weeks ago.....and DRY as a bone! but the cockroaches love it apparently! the flies love it too!

and it's only May! it'll be up to 120f when the monsoon starts!

i'd recommend malting indoors, but deculming outside. :mug:
Malting will be indoors. Only drying outside.
Cockroaches can even survive the nuclear blast lol.

And does drying it in sun afterwards ok?
This time my malt won't go in any microwave or oven. Just will dry it in the sun and crush afterwards.
Sun is strong here these days ,won't take long maximum 1-2 days
I dry on screened racks inside and also outside. Outside drying gets dirt and other impurities into your grain but I have never had any problems drying outside to be honest. As far as the 120F kilning for 12 hours that you have to do before you turn the dried malt into whatever kind of malt you are making ... It is very hot here also so I just put it in my truck with the windows rolled up for three days and then I kiln it into pale, pilsner, or whatever kind of malt I want. Some malts need to be made from still sprouting seed though so there is that aspect also. I dry the same way for for wheat malt also, I have 30 pounds of it waiting to kiln. Only put the malt in an airtight container AFTER it has been thoroughly dried!!!

Back